What does Linux know about your hardware?

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Re: inxi suggestion

Postby pgmer6809 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:57 am

No need to feel insulted. True I did not check the date. It just seemed to me that inxi did all that you could ask for and could be installed via the pkg manager so why not use it?
pgmer6809

Re: What does Linux know about your hardware?

Postby guy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:06 am

Been following this with interest and the use of a simple script with in-page commentary parallels what Bazza did with his audioscope project. Top marks for educational value and IMHO this idea deserves to go way beyond helping a few denizens of a discussion forum. Go to it.
"We don't need no frikkin' aliens, we c'n do this ourselves!" — anon.
guy
LXF regular

Postby Coop31 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:46 pm

Why not use common practices to learn all hardware components of your Linux system? Reinventing new approaches is time-consuming, while old proven methods are almost effortless. This is what I found on Tecmint: Useful Commands to Collect System and Hardware Information in Linux Or use system monitoring tools in your control panel.
Coop31

Postby lok1950 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:42 pm

@Coop31 have you read the whole thread and the context of the original poster your comments just post already discussed issues with no new content even your links can be taken as spam as they point to commercial sites:end of rant :P

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box:Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.2 Win 7 acer S243HL K222HQL
amd XP1800 on a asusA7N8x/ 789Mb ram/ sda 120 Gb ntfs sdb 80 Gb ext3 (fedora 10) gForce 6800 gt 128 Mb
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby imort » Tue May 24, 2016 2:36 pm

Dutch_Master wrote:Frankly, I hope you won't need it, but if you do, let me know if it worked for you (it works on my system (pun intended :P))

Hm
All that this script does is redirect to a file output of two common commands.
You can at least check if 'lshw' package is installed and install it if not! Then your script can be used on any system.

You can also check if that RedHat/Debian, so on.

I think it will be an improvement.
imort

Postby Dutch_Master » Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 pm

Spot on for your assessment of it doing what it says on the tin with so little dependencies. :mrgreen:

Including the install command would make it way too complicated for new users (the target audience of this exercise) to understand and comprehend. Keep in mind it's not just a functional script, but also a learning tool :mrgreen:

Anyway, have another look at the latest version and the rest of the thread :P
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby guy » Wed May 25, 2016 8:12 am

Can I suggest you add a breadcrumb back to the source, something like this:
Code: Select all
# maintained at http://home.hccnet.nl/m.v.wesstein/diversen/mysystem_orig.txt

and bump it to v 0.011
"We don't need no frikkin' aliens, we c'n do this ourselves!" — anon.
guy
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:39 am

Terminal note: this script is no longer (actively) maintained and due to the imminent closure of the LXF forums the file/script has now been taken offline. Thanks to all who contributed to improve the script and those who used it for whatever purpose they needed to know about their hardware.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Programming