Mandriva 2008 Free

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Mandriva 2008 Free

Postby Marrea » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:21 pm

Thought I'd replace Mandriva 2007 Spring on my Toshiba laptop with 2008 from LXF102 DVD. I'm not really a great fan of Mandriva but I must say 2008 looks quite good.

Oddly, even though during installation I opted to put Grub on the root partition, it didn't do so but put it on the MBR. It's a dual boot with Windows XP laptop and when I rebooted, instead of going into Windows it booted into Mandriva. I had a look at the Boot Set-up section in Control Center and it was still set to /dev/hda3 in the drop-down box (this is what I had selected via the Configure button on the summary screen during installation). Very strange.

Mind you, I am always suspicious of distros which go ahead and decide the bootloader location without asking, and the first opportunity you have of doing anything about it is at the summary screen. It's almost as if changing it there doesn't actually have any effect at all and it just remains stuck on /dev/hda.
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Mandriva 2008 Free

Postby Hudzilla » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:00 pm

<< I am always suspicious of distros which go ahead and decide the bootloader location without asking >>

Didn't Ubuntu cause you a similar problem a few versions ago?

As for Mandriva, we've been very impressed - something has changed, and the company really seems to be clawing its way back to the #1 position. Mike's working on a special DVD for 103 that will allow readers to install lots of different distros side-by-side to give them all a thorough test, and I reckon Mandriva will really impress people who haven't looked beyond Ubuntu for a while.
Hudzilla
Site admin

RE: Mandriva 2008 Free

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:51 pm

So, is it going to be VirtualBox and a bunch of compressed virtual disk images? It seems to me that you could fit far more distros on that way than by using isos.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: Mandriva 2008 Free

Postby Marrea » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:05 pm

Hudzilla wrote:<< I am always suspicious of distros which go ahead and decide the bootloader location without asking >>

Didn't Ubuntu cause you a similar problem a few versions ago?

You've got a good memory! :wink:

Yes, indeed, I did have a similar problem when Ubuntu's Grub was put on the MBR, but that was actually my fault because I didn't spot the "Advanced" button on the last page of the installation where this could be changed. I've had no problems changing the location with later versions of Ubuntu since then.

But with Mandriva, although I changed the location using the Configure button on the Summary Screen it didn't seem to have any effect. Easily put right with a fixmbr, so no great problem. Just slightly irritating. :roll:

Hudzilla wrote:As for Mandriva, we've been very impressed

I am certainly impressed with it. As I said, I have never been particularly fond of Mandriva (although it was my first distro) but I have been pleasantly surprised by this 2008 version. I am busy at the moment installing the various multimedia etc packages.

Hudzilla wrote: Mike's working on a special DVD for 103 that will allow readers to install lots of different distros side-by-side to give them all a thorough test,

Yes, so I noticed from "Next month" at the back of the current mag. Sounds excellent. Looking forward to it..
:)
Marrea
LXF regular

Re: RE: Mandriva 2008 Free

Postby nelz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:37 pm

Rhakios wrote:So, is it going to be VirtualBox and a bunch of compressed virtual disk images? It seems to me that you could fit far more distros on that way than by using isos.

I doubt you'd save much space, because the RPM/Deb files in the ISOs are also compressed.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

RE: Re: RE: Mandriva 2008 Free

Postby Hudzilla » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:24 pm

<< So, is it going to be VirtualBox and a bunch of compressed virtual disk images? It seems to me that you could fit far more distros on that way than by using isos. >>

VirtualBox, yes; not virtual disk images, though - we'd much prefer to give people the chance to install the Linuxes for real once they find the ones they like. In fact, I wonder if we ought to take a poll for people who have tried them all...
Hudzilla
Site admin

RE: Re: RE: Mandriva 2008 Free

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:36 pm

Live CDs then? I suppose that all the major distros, and quite any number of minor ones, come that way, some with installers and at least most of them keep to single CD size. A double sided DVD... I expect you'd get at least 8.

I wonder if they will open people's eyes, or merely confirm them in their opinions? ;)

Edit: And by 8, of course I mean 16 on a double-sided DVD. Fortunately I went to bad shortly after posting that.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: Re: RE: Mandriva 2008 Free

Postby ollie » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:27 am

Rhakios wrote:Edit: And by 8, of course I mean 16 on a double-sided DVD. Fortunately I went to bad shortly after posting that.

I think you went to "bad" shortly before both postings!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
ollie

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Mandriva 2008 Free

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:26 am

Yes, 11:36pm, it was time for bed again :roll:

<clicks Preview instead of Submit, just in case he is still half-asleep>
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: Mandriva 2008 Free

Postby Marrea » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:13 pm

Hmm, the love affair didn't last long I'm afraid. Can't get rid of Mandriva's usual constant annoying interference type noise, which I have always silenced before on my desktops by going into KMix and muting Aux. However, this doesn't work on my Toshiba. I have also tried muting everything else in turn without success.

So I thought I'd install 2008 on my multi-boot Asus Terminator desktop and enjoy it there.
Marrea wrote:Oddly, even though during installation I opted to put Grub on the root partition, it didn't do so but put it on the MBR.

But guess what, exactly the same thing happened. Mandriva bunged Grub on the MBR without so much as a by-your-leave. :evil: So I changed it at the summary screen to /dev/hda2 but on reboot, instead of Windows ntldr, Mandriva's Grub appeared. Now I know hardly any of you use the ntldr as a bootloader, but you might like to be aware of Mandriva's impolite behaviour here if you do. :wink:

I stopped the noise on the Asus OK by muting Aux, so I thought all would be well. However, had two screen lock-ups already and had to do a manual switch off each time. Could this be because Mandriva has recognised my FX5200 as a GeForce 8800 I wonder? :roll:
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Re: Mandriva 2008 Free

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:55 pm

The thing that has been annoying me most about Mandriva 2008, on my VMWare install, is the habit it has of undoing any of my changes to the look of it, such as replacing the 1980s looking digital clock with the plain text clock. Next reboot and it's back to the 1980s, grrr!
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Yes, well it obviously seems to be undoing my instruction to put Grub on the root partition!!

At the moment, I am trying to install the proprietary driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run) without much success so far. I thought if I had the proper graphics driver it might prevent the screen locking up.

My kernel is 2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv and I have installed kernel-source-2.6.22.9-1mdv and kernel-desktop586-devel-2.6.22.9-1.mdv but when I run
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run
I get a message about No precompiled kernel interface was found. It attempts to download one but fails, and also fails to compile a new one.

/var/log/nvidia-installer.log says
kernel module load error : insmod : error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko' : -1 Invalid module format
and
bootsplash: version magic '2.6.22.9-1mdvcustom SMP mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.22-9-desktop-1mdv SMP mod_unload 686 '

Not quite sure how to interpet this but I shall persevere.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:22 pm

I had a similar problem compiling VMWare tools on Mandriva, what I did was to edit the Makefile in /ur/src/linux to say:
EXTRAVERSION = .12-desktop-1mdv

Then I ran:

make oldconfig
make modules_prepare
make prepare

After which I could run vmware-config-tools.pl successfully for most of the modules it needed to compile.
Then again, I do not have the kernel-desktop-devel package installed, I'll have to have a look at it.

Edit: forgot to mention that I ran Mandriva to check on what I had done, and yes, it's back to the 1980s again. :x

More editing, you would of course want to change your EXTRAVERSION to suit your running kernel, but as I have updated, that's what I used for my running kernel.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:39 pm

And there's more:
I have just installed the kernel-desktop-devel package and find that it /usr/src/linux still points to the main kernel source, not the devel files in kernel-desktop-devel, which might be the cause of your problem. You can specify an alternative kernel source tree with the nvidia installer by using the --kernel-source-path=/path/to/kernel-desktop-devel/ option
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:09 pm

And that's it, I officially give up on Mandriva 2008, I've just spent the last half hour trying every way I can think of to get the clock to stay the way I want it and it just won't have it. It appears to create an new clock_panelapplet<insert_gobbledegook>_rc file every time the desktop loads and ignores my carefully modified and saved versions. I expect this has something to do with the mandriva-desktop extensions which I have come to loathe in the past. Before anyone mentions it, disabling session management is one of the many things that make no difference.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Next

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs