Installing Linux distros on ACER notebook

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Installing Linux distros on ACER notebook

Postby mountainriverlocal » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:23 am

Some background: I have been fiddling with no success setting up a Linux distro on my sister in law's ACER notebook.
Sometime back I did this on my niece's HP notebook, installing Mint 17.1. The young lady is most pleased with the result so when her mother's machine began to act up, I thought aha! another chance to give Windows the flick.

To help make the unit more robust I installed an SSD of 160gig and then tried Mint, Linux Lite and Lubuntu in live mode.
All three worked well, even picking up the wi-fi and I was able to go online.

So far so good but when I try to do an actual install, problems occur, namely:
The install goes ahead until reboot time and then the machine ceases to co-operate. On rebooting, it only gets a short distance into loading files and then stalls. It is the same for the above distros. Puppy was tried and it just would not load.

I ran memtest overnight and it showed no errors. Given the way the live boot works I suspect the RAM and much of the motherboard are OK.
So I thought if I ran it past you good folk, someone might spot something. I occasionally think I might be overlooking the blatantly obvious, who knows?

One last remark, the motherboard seems to get a bit warm, that is very subjective but I mention it anyway.

The unit is ACER V 11 Touch V3-111P-C3EP
Celeron processor N2380
4 GB DDR3 L Memory
Manufactured mid 2014.
mountainriverlocal

Re: Installing Linux distros on ACER notebook

Postby lok1950 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:42 am

Have you hit the "Esc" key during boot so you can see the loading log messages that should give some indication of where in the boot process it barfs there is also a thread on the Ubuntu forums about it just google "ACER V 11 Touch V3-111P-C3EP Linux" second link IIRC.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box:Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.2 Win 7 acer S243HL K222HQL
amd XP1800 on a asusA7N8x/ 789Mb ram/ sda 120 Gb ntfs sdb 80 Gb ext3 (fedora 10) gForce 6800 gt 128 Mb
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby mountainriverlocal » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:40 am

Thanks for the quick reply lok1950. I tried the esc key trick and get:

Starting Mount filesystems on boot [OK]

there follows a short list of entries all marked [OK]

the final entry (no 17 on the list) is

Stopping load modules from /etc/modules [OK]

the list then stops and so does the pooter.

I did try booting from a usb cd/dvd drive and managed to get Mint 17 working after a fashion but after a couple of reboots, little ACER spat the dummy and won't play.

Prior to this I was using usb dongles created with Unetbootin.

Will continue googling around the topic you mentioned .

Thanks

Mark.
mountainriverlocal

Postby nelz » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:02 am

systemd runs startup processes in parallel, so the last one may not be related to the problem. Can you show the full list?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby mountainriverlocal » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:36 am

Greetings nelz. I am doing different things over and over again and getting the same results, does that sound about right?
I would post the list but I can't do a screen capture on that list. I notice it stops at different places on subsequent reboots.
I will keep poking around. Something to do here in the evening, the TV is execrable.
Thanks

Mark.
mountainriverlocal

Postby nelz » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:42 am

mountainriverlocal wrote:I would post the list but I can't do a screen capture on that list.

You don't have a camera?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby mountainriverlocal » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:41 am

Ah nelz, that would be just to simple! Yes I have one somewhere and might press it into service if I can find someone who still develops glass plate negatives. Didn't say it was the latest model, did I?
Anyway, some progress has been made but it is not wholly satisfying: I reinstalled the original HDD which I thought was on its last legs and used the USB optical drive to install Mint 17 with MATE 1.8.0
Amazingly it boots up, wifi works and even the touch screen works (never use it myself).
I have cycled it a few times and it is running nicely.
It appears the HDD is OK after all but I would have liked to use the SSD.
On the surface the problem is solved but I would like to leave the topic open for a day or two while I do some digging around.
Thanks for the quick replies so far, much appreciated.
Mark.
mountainriverlocal

Postby mountainriverlocal » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:40 pm

Little ACER had a bad night and is quite fractious this morning, not co-operating at all.
Off to town myself for a few things so the little brat can sulk until my return.

Mark.
mountainriverlocal

Re: Installing Linux distros on ACER notebook PARTLY SOLVED

Postby mountainriverlocal » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:38 pm

Had the fire going last night, it might be spring but in Tasmania the nights can be cold at anytime. Thus the perfect setting for an evening massaging little ACER.
I noticed that Mint 17.2 has some better handling of UEFI type machines so download done and iso created.
Upshot is, the machine now boots up OK and everything works. The only thing it wont do is switch off at the end of the shutdown. A very minor inconvenience in the scheme of things.
Bottom line here is I will leave it as is, it works.
The alternative is to be taking pictures of cryptic messages and that was messy, I got different things at different times, seemingly random. I did not want to impose on you good folk too much trying to decipher things. My thanks anyway for the replies, nice to know there are good and helpful people out there.
A couple of things noted:
Although it didn't make the cut, Lubuntu did load and run mighty fast, very impressive on the notebook.
The installing of distros is remarkably smooth and quick, they have it down to a fine art. I have recently reinstalled Win 8.1 (after an unwanted upgrade to 10) on my daughter's laptop, that was a typically tedious MS effort. Situation normal....
I am still using the HDD in the ACER, the SSD does not give any joy at all in this situation. I am wondering if is sound, being new is no guarantee of that. Will check it out.
Thanks again people,
Mark.
mountainriverlocal

Re: Installing Linux distros on ACER notebook SOLVED

Postby mountainriverlocal » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:39 am

Well, little ACER was sort of working with Mint 17.2 installed but not really well enough for me to return it to my sister in law. Pride in the Linux name is at stake, so I did some more fiddling and followed up some google searches. (Weather is cool and showery so no painting outside, time for some Linuxing)

I am not sure if the Askubuntu page was the one lok1950 was referring to but I did find one entry which seemed to cover the situation nicely.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/524894/b ... 3-111-c0wa is the URL.

After adjusting the appropriate file /etc/modprobe.d , a reboot showed all was well, rapid shutdown and a good clean boot.

Funny thing was at my first attempt I left a letter "d" off and rebooting was no better. How can that simple entry have any effect anyway I was thinking at the time (!)
Another attempt and paying attention this time, I nailed it.

So honour is now restored and ACER can go home.

Thanks for the replies to my query, put me on the right track.

Regards

Mark.
mountainriverlocal

Return to Hardware