DVD Burner no longer recognising blank disc

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

DVD Burner no longer recognising blank disc

Postby stuarte9 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi,

I'm using Kubuntu 14.04 LTS on an old 32-bit P4 system and it is working well, mostly.

Recently I tried to burn an iso image to a blank dvd-rw disc. Both K3B and Brasero requested that I put a blank disc into the burner. However, I had placed the disc into the burner before starting each of those programs.

To test the burner, I placed into it the dvd-rw disk onto which I had successfully burned the Kubuntu iso image. On rebooting the system, it was able to display the Kubuntu "Try Kubuntu/Install Kubuntu" welcome screen from that dvd-rw disc.

I then closed down the running dvd-rw instance of Kubuntu, powered down the system, removed that disc, and then rebooted the system without any disc in the burner, letting the system successfully boot from the hdd instance of Kubuntu.

From this it would seem that the burner is working correctly as far as reading a previously burned dvd-rw disc is concerned and that the fault lies somewhere within the hdd instance of Kubuntu.

The output from dmesg | egrep '(CD|DVD)' is listed below.

[ 4.675751] scsi 2:0:1:0: CD-ROM LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5232K NK06 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[ 4.739109] cdrom: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[ 4.760556] sr 2:0:1:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
[ 5.055631] ata4.01: ATAPI: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202J, SB00, max UDMA/66
[ 5.391946] scsi 3:0:1:0: CD-ROM TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202J SB00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[ 5.510298] sr 3:0:1:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1

As you can see I have two optical drives installed. The burner is the TSSTcorp unit. This is verified by the output from sudo lshw -class disk part of which is listed below.

*-cdrom
description: DVD reader
product: COMBO SOHC-5232K
vendor: LITE-ON
physical id: 0.1.0
bus info: scsi@2:0.1.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: NK06
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
*-cdrom
description: DVD-RAM writer
product: CDDVDW SH-S202J
vendor: TSSTcorp
physical id: 0.1.0
bus info: scsi@3:0.1.0
logical name: /dev/sr1
version: SB00
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc

I should also state that the blank dvd-rw disc that was not recognised is from the same collection of dvd-rw discs one of which was successfully used to burn the Kubuntu iso image. Further, other discs from that same collection were successfully used to burn other iso images using either K3B or Brasero. In those cases it was immaterial which program was used to do the burning as the burns completed successfully.

Could someone please point me in the direction of where to look in Kubuntu to find out what has changed and how to correct this change.

Thanks in advance for nay help that you can give with this.

Best regards,

Stuart
stuarte9

Re: DVD Burner no longer recognising blank disc

Postby nelz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:34 pm

It could be a faulty disc if the others all worked, that seems more likely than a sudden fault appearing in the software. What does cdrecord tel you about the disc?

Code: Select all
sudo cdrecord dev=/dev/sr1 -media-info
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby GregS » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:17 am

Oddly, I have just recently suffered a similar problem with K3B running on Fedora 23. One set of CD-R that I attempted to burn appeared to write OK, but theee is nothing there. I have tried them in three computers (one WinDoze) and four DVD RW rdrives, so apparently they (by a once well-known camera manufacturer) are all coasters. (GnomeBaker didn't do any better).

However, trying to write to a DVD after giving up on the CD option resulted in more errors with K3B than I have ever encountered before. They were eventually written, one drive would read them the other - the one that wrote them - wouldn't recognise them.

I was begining to think it may have been a hardware probelm, now I suspect it may be something in K3B?
GregS
LXF regular

Postby stuarte9 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:18 pm

Good afternoon folks,

Thanks very much for the swift replies.

@nelz:

The discs that I used were TDK-RW 1-2 speed. As I stated earlier, the rest of the discs (all nine of them) burned successfully. So I don't really suspect the remaining disc, though you may be completely correct on your initial point. The problem here is that I don't have access to another burner with which to verify your point.

The output from the command you supplied is listed below.

sudo cdrecord dev=/dev/sr1 -media-info
[sudo] password for kub:
wodim: Bad Option: -media-info.
Usage: wodim [options] track1...trackn

Use wodim -help
to get a list of valid options.

Use wodim blank=help
to get a list of valid blanking options.

Use wodim dev=b,t,l driveropts=help -checkdrive
to get a list of drive specific options.

Use wodim dev=help
to get a list of possible SCSI transport specifiers.

I've just used synaptic to verify that wodim is in fact installed. I thought that maybe it wasn't. Perhaps a low level script somewhere has been changed, somehow. Remember that both K3B and Brasero both made the same request to have a disc placed into the burner. This commonality would seem to point to something at a lower level. I just don't know where to start looking.

Also even though I've burned several dvd-rw discs, I'm not familiar with wodim.

@GregS:

"one drive would read them the other - the one that wrote them - wouldn't recognise them."

My experience here is that commercially produced discs, such as those that come with magazines :D , work properly in my DVD-Rom drive. Conversely, home burned DVD discs only work properly in the burner that burned them.

Aside from the current problem, I haven't had any other problems with either K3B or Brasero that I can remember just now. Where it came to burning iso images, each program "just worked".

"I was begining to think it may have been a hardware probelm, now I suspect it may be something in K3B?"

Yes, as I stated to nelz above, I'm thinking that it is a software problem but within Kubuntu rather than either K3B or Brasero, given the commonality I spoke of above.

What is used by and so common to both K3B and Brasero ? Do they both use wodim ? Does wodim use scripts for some reason ? Could that be where the problem lies ? If so what should these scripts look like ? Where can they be found ?

I think it's time to do a bit of serious digging. Don't you just love Linux ?! :D

Best regards,

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby nelz » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:30 pm

wodim is a fork of cdrecord, the command line tool used by most DVD burning GUIs. It appears that wodim doesn't have the -media-info and -minfo options that return information about the disc in the drive. Try
Code: Select all
dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr1

You said that the other nine of the ten discs in the pack worked. That would indicate that your hardware and software is fine and still points to the disc as the culprit for me.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:43 am

Purely anecdotal evidence I know, but I've had bad experiences with blank TDK discs. Bought a box of 25 once, 5 of them failed to burn or resulted in coasters after 'verifying'. On the same drive, I've never had a problem with Sony branded CD/DVD-R/DVD-RW/Blu-ray discs. Kodak Gold were my go-to blank media for years and years before that. Somewhat unexpectedly, Tesco's own-branded blank discs aren't too bad. Not the fastest to write, but (cross fingers) I've not had a bad one yet. They also survive fairly well in moderate-extreme environments like in a car where temperatures can fluctuate a lot over the course of a British year... (after I had a car CD player wreck a new CD when it went wrong, I never put originals in any more...)
Paradigm Shifter

Postby stuarte9 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:28 pm

Good afternoon folks,

Thank you for more swift replies.

@nelz:

The output to the command you gave is listed below.

kub@kub-PM800-8237:~$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr1
INQUIRY: [TSSTcorp][CDDVDW SH-S202J ][SB00]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
:-( no media mounted, exiting...

This even though there was(!) a disc in the burner when the command was run. Just as a check, I replaced the blank disc with the home burned disc that holds the Kubuntu iso. Re-running the command produced the following output.

:-( no media mounted, exiting...
Mounted Media: 14h, DVD-RW Sequential
Media ID: TDK502sakuM3
Current Write Speed: 2.0x1385=2770KB/s
Write Speed #0: 2.0x1385=2770KB/s
Write Speed #1: 1.0x1385=1385KB/s
GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
Write Performance: 2.0x1385=2770KB/s@[0 -> 2298496]
Speed Descriptor#0: 00/2297887 R@12.0x1385=16620KB/s W@2.0x1385=2770KB/s
Speed Descriptor#1: 00/2297887 R@12.0x1385=16620KB/s W@1.0x1385=1385KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#10h]:
Media Book Type: 00h, DVD-ROM book [revision 0]
Legacy lead-out at: 2298496*2KB=4707319808
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
Media Book Type: 32h, DVD-RW book [revision 2]
Last border-out at: 2045*2KB=4188160
READ DISC INFORMATION:
Disc status: complete
Number of Sessions: 1
State of Last Session: complete
Number of Tracks: 1
READ FORMAT CAPACITIES:
formatted: 524288*2048=1073741824
00h(800): 2297888*2048=4706074624
10h(10): 2297888*2048=4706074624
15h(10): 2297888*2048=4706074624
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
Track State: complete
Track Start Address: 0*2KB
Free Blocks: 0*2KB
Track Size: 524288*2KB
Last Recorded Address: 524287*2KB
FABRICATED TOC:
Track#1 : 14@0
Track#AA : 17@524288
Multi-session Info: #1@0
READ CAPACITY: 524288*2048=1073741824
kub@kub-PM800-8237:~$

The first of these two attempts failed because the burner had not finished reading the disc. Still, the second attempt clearly indicates that the burner can at least read a home burned disc. As you can see from the "Mounted Media" line, the program correctly recognises the disc as being of type DVD-RW and from the "Media ID" line it correctly recognises the disc as being of the TDK brand. This seems(!) to argue against the burner itself being at fault. Maybe the fault does(!) lie with the disc.

BTW, is there somewhere online where I can learn what all that output means ?

@Paradigm Shifter:

If the fault does lie with this particular disc then, from what you say, maybe I've been lucky. It is(!) the last disc from a spindle of ten discs. The rest all burned correctly without the least problem.

I will definitely bear those brands in mind when I can get some pennies together to get more discs. Sadly there isn't a Tesco nearby. My choice lies between Sainsbury or Maplin, both just a ten minute walk away.

Once again, thank you both for your swift replies.

Best regards,

Stuart
stuarte9

Return to Hardware