Linux or Vista

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Linux or Vista

Postby seunglee » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:12 pm

I know that the majority of you guys are Linux users, but i currently hve Windows XP and I am considering either upgrading to Windows Vista or Fedora Core 6 Linux. Should I choose Linux? And for what reasons?
seunglee

RE: Linux or Vista

Postby MartyBartfast » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:28 pm

Should I choose Linux?

I think you already know the answer!

And for what reasons?

I won't give you a string of reasons here, you can browse the forums for many discussions and examples.

I will say "you can try it for nothing, and if you don't like it you can choose something else, but VISTA is gonna cost you".
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

RE: Linux or Vista

Postby rossi46 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:26 pm

I found PCLinuxOS the most suitable choice of distros when I jumped from XP to Linux. I felt at home more or less straight away. The repository of thousands of apps blew me away. I faffed about with tons of different versions of Linux and my only regret is not going with PCLOS right from the start.

I'm not usually in the habit of influencing people's choices, but I wish someone had recommended PCLOS to me and saved me a load of searching.

Paul
rossi46

Re: RE: Linux or Vista

Postby Marrea » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:41 pm

rossi46 wrote:I'm not usually in the habit of influencing people's choices, but I wish someone had recommended PCLOS to me and saved me a load of searching.

Paul

Problem is that everyone has their own favourite distro, which works for them, and they will usually recommend that one. But it may not necessarily be the best choice for someone else. Just as an example, I for instance very much like Fedora but I have seen many adverse comments by other people about this distro. But it does all the things I want it for, so I'm happy.

Incidentally, why aren't you using a pic of "The Doctor" instead of Jeremy Beadle? :D
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Linux or Vista

Postby nelz » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:50 pm

Because The Doctor's hair would exceed the avatar size limit ;-)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Marrea » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:11 pm

What, even when it's squashed flat under his helmet?
Marrea
LXF regular

Re: Linux or Vista

Postby Diagmato » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:58 pm

seunglee wrote:I know that the majority of you guys are Linux users, but i currently hve Windows XP and I am considering either upgrading to Windows Vista or Fedora Core 6 Linux. Should I choose Linux? And for what reasons?

If its your first time with Linux, then perhaps not Fedora - Ubuntu has a far greater package selection and works with more hardware (judging by 2 pc's and a laptop). you are more likely to have an easier time setting up Ubuntu to your liking.
My Blog

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
Diagmato
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:07 pm

Vista:
the general consensus in windows world is "wait and see"
As a windows network admin, I never upgrade to the latest version of windows within the first 6 months, and in fact, I only moved to XP when we couldn't easily specify win2K for new boxes.

As for Linux, we have a policy of using open-source wherever possible. we buy a laptop with XP on it, we install Openoffice.
Our desktop machines are a mix of purchased with an OS (XP), self built, or purchased with no OS - those run Linux Suse 10.2 at the moment.

the suse 10.2 upgrade has been surprising in that people noticed and approved, when on the machines that have been running suse since 9.1 , users have never noticed the upgrade as such before.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

RE: Re: Linux or Vista

Postby nordle » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:08 pm

Have I missed something, when did the forum become a motogp luv fest? Or was it just since Rossi joined?

Is everyone else really looking forward to the new season (albeit with weedy little engines :) ).
I get serious withdrawl, british sb's, world sb's, motogp, can't wait for the lights to go out and the front wheels to lift off the start line :)

Is this going to be the Stalkers year? Finally some justice?
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:16 pm

Nordle: you really must lay off the extra-strength cocoa.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:31 pm

Well given Vistas tendencies to intentionally waste processing power to satisfy several disreputable groups I'd say Linux.

Reality is Vista offers nothing exceptional to make you switch. They are talking about making games Vista only but that will just result in me buying a Wii. MS may crow about their as yet unproven security and stability but it belies the fact that Vista offers nothing interesting to the user. If all I wanted was stability and security I would just pull the plug, I want something of value provided on top of that. It is a base requirement not a killer feature and it really says a lot about previous Windows that every release is touted with improved security being practically the only new feature (that hasn't yet been delivered).
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby rossi46 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:23 pm

I recommended PCLOS because the original post was suggesting that the author was new, or at least inexperienced with Linux. Of all the distros I initially tried, PCLOS is the most like XP, both in visual and ease-of-use terms. In the past, it's been criticised for being too XP-esque and not 'hard-core' enough for the power users, but if, like me, you're more interested in using your PC than spending eternity configuring settings and fighting the dependency hell losing-battle, then it has to be PCLOS, *IMHO*

Besides, it means I have more time to get out on my bike :wink: Talking of which: I now know I made the right choice in switching from XP to Linux, because most of the Linux forums seem to be full of bike fans!

Hayden was gifted the title, Stalker has to get results this year, or I fear it may be his last chance and my hunch is Barros for the 07 title.

Pauly :wink:
rossi46

Postby nelz » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:42 pm

Hayden worked hard for that title. he built his points steadily during the year. Yes, he had some luck when Rossie crashed out in the last round, but he had far worse luck in the previous round with his kamikaze team mate.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby candy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:56 pm

It may be a time to split your gaming and your PC requirements in which instance you can stay with XP but make a few improvements - see this link
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/wi ... p_apps.asp
or try some linux distros instead.

I wouldn't wish to go near Vista personally.

Regards,
Candy

A girl in a million
candy

Re: RE: Re: Linux or Vista

Postby nordle » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:58 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Nordle: you really must lay off the extra-strength cocoa.

???? You've lost me on that one.

Anyway, cocoa is apparently very good for you.

rossi46, no way was Hayden gifted that title, ok we didn't have a complete race of fairing bashing but it was still jaw droppingly tense.
And the whole season was a bit special.

Chris Walker is in bsb again and is still massively popular and talented rider, certainly in this series he attracts a good level of sponsorship because of this popularity, I can see him around for a little longer yet.
Back on Suzuki too, although things have moved on a lot.

Not to take anything from Hodgeson, but Chris was seriously unlucky in 2000 and its continued since. Getting Bells Palsy, how unlucky can one guy be!! I can't imagine riding a bike at 160MPH without being able to blink!
He tells some pretty funny stories in Racer mag too.

Can't wait to see him take on kiyo!

Also really looking forward to seeing Max in WSB, alongside Kagayama should be great! Still think its between Bayliss, Corser and Haga though.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Next

Return to Discussion