from Ubuntu 14.04 to 18.04 - how to upgrade smoothly ?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

from Ubuntu 14.04 to 18.04 - how to upgrade smoothly ?

Postby oliver » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:03 pm

Dear all,
Would you please excuse my bad English.

On my offline laptop, I use Ubuntu 14.04 in dual boot with Windows 7 pro (I have to).
The release date of Ubuntu 18.04 is the 26th of April.
My 14.04 install hasn't been update since 2015 or 2016 (because I don't have to, and I am safer offline with that envireonment).

1. No possible sudo apt-get update for U14.04 after the 26th of April? If NO, then should I conclude that I have to update 14.04 as soon as possible to give it a longer life (offline use, remember)
2. How can I upgrade smoothly from Ubuntu 14.04 to 18.04, given my context:
Linux partition - EXT3
DATA partition - NTFS
VM partition - NTFS
Windows partition - NTFS
I'm a newbie. And I intended to reformat the Linux partition, then install U18.08 on it, update it -> I would have to reinstall all my softwares. Is there a way to prevent this to happen? (it would take me a WE...)
3. No apt-get update possible - can't connect to wifi network
I noticed recently that I cannot connect to (good) the wifi network of a library in order to update 14.04 (I already did it before, on that network). The little antenna icon is neverendlessly tilting/running, but no connection at all is possible to that network (haven't try another yet). My tablet is able to connect to it, so the library's wifi works perfecly. It is an open network, the credentials must be written on a web page sent by their portal. I can't have that page as the laptop makes no wifi connecion at all.
is the possible cause the fact that the distro has not been update since a very long time?
Should I update it through cabled network first, in order to update the wifi drivers? Then try again with wifi?
( I have no Internet connection at home at the moment).

Please feel free to refer to the numbers of my questions, easier.

Many thanks for your help !

Best regards

oliver

Re: from Ubuntu 14.04 to 18.04 - how to upgrade smoothly ?

Postby jonni » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:18 am

Hi Oliver,

Nice to see some activity on these forums. I have good news and bad news.

First the good news: Your query is going to appear in our Answers section in the magazine. Despite a most vocal outcry when we got rid of that section, we have had very few questions. And we can't have answers without questions. And yours is a good one.

oliver wrote:1. No possible sudo apt-get update for U14.04 after the 26th of April?

More good news: Ubuntu 14.04 will be supported until April 2019--the LTS releases come with 5 years of support. So you have a year to sort this out. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do anything, and at the very least you should find a wired ethernet connection and update your 14.04 install. It's very unlikely to break anything, and it might even fix your wireless connection.

oliver wrote:3. No apt-get update possible - can't connect to wifi network

Now the bad news: I can't help with your wireless connection. Since the adapter is detected and can see your library's network, it does seem like a driver and any firmware it requires are there. Since you've connected to it in the past, and presumably haven' t changed the driver since then, it seems likely that something has changed with your library's set up. Captive portal wifi is a terrible invention-especially when the initial connection is unencrypted. I remember in the past when I had cause to connect to such a network my laptop refused to make the initial connection. I ended up using a different wifi dongle in the end. And vowing never to use such networks ever again.

As I said, hopefully updating Ubuntu 14.04 over ethernet will fix that. So you should try and find a friend willing to let you connect to their router. You are correct, if you were to do a clean install of 18.04, you would need to reinstall all your programs. It's also very likely that some of those programs are no longer present in the repositories, so you'd need to either compile and install these manually, or find some alternatives. Can you tell me which applications you have added to your 14.04 install? This could prevent some nasty surprises. Things like LibreOffice and Firefox are already included in the default install, so you needn't worry about those.

oliver wrote:2. How can I upgrade smoothly from Ubuntu 14.04 to 18.04, given my context:

If you do want to upgrade to 18.04, then a clean install is probably the best way to go here, provided all the applications you need are still around. All you'd need to do would be to back up any documents you need from your home folder (or anywhere else on the target disk, an external hard drive is useful if you have a lot of data), do the install (your NTFS partitions can be left untouched), restore your backed up files, and install all the required programs. Even on an old laptop (as long as there is space) this "shouldn't" take more than a couple of hours. However, things rarely go according to plan, so it is good to allocate more time to the task.

An alternative route, one which doesn't involve wiping your hard drive, would be to upgrade first to 16.04. You may run into some difficulties here, or it may go smoothly. From here you could either stick with 16.04 (which will be supported until 2021) or upgrade to 18.04. Again the upgrade may or may not go smoothly, and you would be left with a few relics of not one but two Ubuntus.

However, you may not want to upgrade to 18.04, at least not right away. It uses the Gnome desktop which, coming from Unity in 14.04, will require some getting used to. It also will not run nicely on old hardware. Upgrading to 16.04 may be the best option--it's cosmetically similar to 14.04. If it doesn't work, or you don't like it, then try a clean install of one of the lighter 18.04 flavours, Lubuntu, Xubuntu or Ubuntu MATE. I would hold off 18.04 for a couple of months though, especially if you're going to be using it offline.

j'espère que ça aide
jonni

Postby oliver » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:25 pm

jonni wrote:j'espère que ça aide

It does, Jonni, big time!!
Many, many thanks.
I will get back here later with some more input, and answers to your questions. But probably 'otary before I'm back from Grece, the 24th of May. Will not have time before.
The most important point point for me at once is that I don't have to hurry to upgrade as 14,04 is supported till 2019.

Just one point: my /home points actually to the DATA partition (NTFS), thanks to a very nice LXF tutorial which let me able to do it in 2014 for 14.04 LTS (the tutorial's subject was about to make the most smoothly integrated Windows/Ubuntu 14.04 dual boot, very, very useful - I sent to lxfletters via email enquiry recent request to have a similar big,long equivalent tutorial for 18.04, from Olivier Durand )

BTW I thought you were overwhelmed with questions. If not, I still have a few (good) ones.

Again, thank you for your help.

Best regards.
oliver

Postby oliver » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Sorry for the typos, this touchscreen+corrector make look my terrible English even worse...
oliver

Return to Help!