Memory 8gb should be 16gb

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Memory 8gb should be 16gb

Postby DavePritchard » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi,
Asus F2 A85-V PRo Motherboard, Originally had 8gb of memory, this was updated with another 8gb memory module ( both 1333mhz ) But only 8gb shows up.
Each module works Ok by itself, There are 4 memory slots 2 black 1 & 3, and 2 blue 2 & 4, the second module is in slot 3 , so the 2 black slots are in use.
I have had a poke about in the BIOS but cannot find any memory settings, so I am stumped as as to why the memory is still 8gb.
Any advice most welcome.
Dave P..
DavePritchard

Re: Memory 8gb should be 16gb

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Look at the manual, 8GB total might be the max for the board.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:27 pm

According to Kingston, the board can handle up to 64GB (4 x 16GB). Have you checked what the manual says about fitting a second module? You usually use both slots of the same colour when using matched modules, what happens when you use slots 1 & 2?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby DavePritchard » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks for the reply nelz.
On checking I find the first module is a corsair CMX16GX3M2A1333C9 16gb 2*8gb. the second module is 8gb , but both are 1333 Mhz.
But only 8gb shows up whatever combination of modules / slots I try.
I am beginning to think that the motherboard has a problem unless there is something else that I can check.
Dave P..
DavePritchard

Postby dandnsmith » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 am

Possibly the problem is the 16GB module - if you only ever see 8GB even using only one module. I've seen this happen with a rather old motherboard.
It would help to have a proper reference manual for the motherboard
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby jonni » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:25 pm

And here was me just two issues ago writing about how these sorts of DIMM pairing worries aren't really a thing anymore.

Dave P. wrote:On checking I find the first module is a corsair CMX16GX3M2A1333C9 16gb 2*8gb

The first module was originally part of a dual module kit. Presumably it was separated from its sibling at some point in the past. So, when used alone, 8GB is the correct capacity here. So if both modules work on their own, they may just not like each other, or the motherboard might not approve of their working together, or possibly one (or more) of the slots is defunct.

dandnsmith wrote:It would help to have a proper reference manual for the motherboard

Dave already gave us the motherboard model, Asus F2A85-V PRo, the manual is here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/F2 ... sk_Manual/

It (cryptically, for 'overclocking capability') recommends using DIMM_A2 and B2, which are the two blue slots, for two memory modules. But other combinations ought to work too. You may have to brave the memory settings (Ai Tweaker > OC Tuner) Hope we can get to the bottom of this :)
jonni
LXF regular

Postby DavePritchard » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Thanks for the reply Jonni,
The Corsair module marked 16gb actually looks like that is what it should be, with chips on both sides, which I assumed to be 8gb each side. However I cannot remember what each module is supposed to be, and they are not matched, except for being 1333 Mhz. I did not believe that mattered any more. ( probably wrong again ).
as for this bit : (Ai Tweaker > OC Tuner) it may as well be pidgin Swahili for all that I can understand of it.
Dave P..
DavePritchard

Return to Help!