Moving Grub

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Moving Grub

Postby cbuffer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:30 pm

I have a broken laptop which wont let me update my OS. I'm using Mint 17 Mate 64bit. The laptop is a Core i3 Samsung and all partitions are ext4. I need to move grub to the / partition so that I can use Plop to install the latest Mint cinnamon. When I did "sudo grub-install /dev/sda5" on cmd I saw

~ $ sudo grub-install /dev/sda5
[sudo] password for cbuffer:

Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install.real: warning: Filesystem `ext2' doesn't support embedding. Grub-install.real: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-install.real: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

Can anyone throw some light on this please?
TIA Ken
cbuffer
LXF regular

Re: Moving Grub

Postby paulm » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:44 pm

Grub 2 does not like being installed to the root of a partition. You will need to use the "force" option to get it to do so. With that, there will still be some error messages, but the install should go through. Only time I've seen it fail is attempting to install to an xfs partition.

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Postby cbuffer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:35 pm

Post by paulm » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:44 pm
Grub 2 does not like being installed to the root of a partition. You will need to use the "force" option to get it to do so. With that, there will still be some error messages, but the install should go through. Only time I've seen it fail is attempting to install to an xfs partition.

Paul.

Thank you Paul, that seems to have worked.

Ken
cbuffer
LXF regular

Return to Help!