How to create a multiboot USB stick

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

How to create a multiboot USB stick

Postby GeordieJedi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:17 pm

Hi there guys.

I am wanting to create a multi booting USB stick with various Linux distros on it.

There are 2 main uses that I want it for.

1. To give a choice of distros to install on peoples PCs
2. Rescue disk (especially anti-virus) & system rescue

I've had a couple of attempts with very limited success.

I've tried Unetbootin (but that just destroys my grub bootloader
and then I have to rescue/restore my own PCs MBR

I've also tried using pendrive linux (via windows, with a little bit more success).
However I only managed to get Kaspersky rescue disc installed
and no other distro's.

What is the best (and possibly easiest) way to achieve this ?

(for testing, I was using a Sandisk 32GB USB stick).
Is it worth slicing the drive into roughly 5GB partitions
and installing a distro on each ?

For testing, I was using a couple of LXF cover discs, just to see if I could get
things working. Is it possible to use these ? Or do I have to download the standard
ISOs from each of the respective distributions websites ?

TIA for any help or advice.
GeordieJedi
LXF regular

Re: How to create a multiboot USB stick

Postby nelz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 am

Yes, this can be done, it's how the LXFDVDs boot. As a quick and dirty test, copy the directories for the various distros and the boot directory of the DVD to a USB stick, then run

Code: Select all
grub-install /dev/sdb

assuming your USB stick is sdb. This ought to work, although I've never tied it like this. Then you can look at the menus on the DVD to see how it is done.

There's a useful page on the Ubuntu wiki that also describes the process. Unetbootin is completely unnecessary these days IMO and certainly won't work for this.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Alex01UK » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:21 am

Hi GeordieJedi I'm Bach! Been in Prison!!!!!!! Hacking. Got caught. Anyhows what I wanna do is make a dual boot Linux Mint 32 bit and 64 bit Ubuntu Studio on the same usb hard drive. We call them Gigsticks. Is this possible Nelz? PS Geordie. What colour is your LightScabre? Mine is RED of course. Because I use Synthetic Crystals for more Power \ Intensity.... ;) Whey Aye Mam! It means ''Yes!'' in Geodie! Who is your favourite Geodie? I like Marnie Simpson off Geodie Shore the most. mtv
AMD QUAD A4 5000, AMD Radeon HD 8330, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 17.04 \ 32bit Mint 18.1 MATE \ Windows 10 Home.
--
Www Armani.PM <- Live Streaming o24\oo7\366.
''I'm smarter than the average Bear Boo Boo; Let's get some pikkernick baskets!''
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:03 pm

I tried this Widows 10 app. Didn't work. Sat there for 24 hrs and woldn't boot. I had to boot use my linux format dvd with ubuntu on the install the usb hard drive installed prop to get it working \ create a bootable usb hard drive; we call them Gigstix. So technically, it is a 16 Gig Stick now...... Steep loearning curve. #Exponential. Never tried Unity much donut like it. I use and recommend The MATE Desquetop.... pka Gnome 2 Never got on with KDE - couldn't sort the screen out.

hth, From: Alex & Amy and Lucy The She-Kat Kitten.
AMD QUAD A4 5000, AMD Radeon HD 8330, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 17.04 \ 32bit Mint 18.1 MATE \ Windows 10 Home.
--
Www Armani.PM <- Live Streaming o24\oo7\366.
''I'm smarter than the average Bear Boo Boo; Let's get some pikkernick baskets!''
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Return to Help!