Planned forum shutdown

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Planned forum shutdown

Postby jonni » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:48 am

A message from our editor:

Due to the low user activity on the LXF forums, combined with a high volume of spam account openings, the LXF team are making the decision to shutter the forums at a future date. As of now, new registrations are closed.

We're making this early announcement to enable remaining active members to seek out and migrate to other more active boards.

Currently maintaining the boards is a distraction from our primary jobs of running the print magazine. Couple this with a plan to migrate the linuxformat.com server down the line, which doesn't include the forum and we're giving forum users as much warning as possible.

As is usually the case this move is unconnected to the stability of the print magazine (ie it's not closing, as is often the rumour after such moves) it's simply so we can concentrate on producing a better print magazine.

It's not an easy decision to reach, but we think the forum's time has come. Feel free to fire abuse, thoughts and comments to: linuxformat@futurenet.com

Regards,
The LXF Team.
jonni

Re: Planned forum shutdown

Postby lok1950 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:15 pm

Thx for all the fish jonni and the rest of the LXF staff over the years and good luck to all the regulars.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box:Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.2 Win 7 acer S243HL K222HQL
amd XP1800 on a asusA7N8x/ 789Mb ram/ sda 120 Gb ntfs sdb 80 Gb ext3 (fedora 10) gForce 6800 gt 128 Mb
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:21 am

How disappointing, even though I was aware that the forums were being used by a lot of users who made no sense at all sometimes, rather than those who used it as a fount of knowledge.

I do hope the magazine does not follow in the same pathway!
Xubuntu 16.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Forums in general are in decline, as are technical mags.
I used to write for LXF in the days when Graham was editor, and several other mags I wrote for have gone since.
They are going the way of IRC and bulletin boards.
When so much technical info is available for free on the internet, it is not surprising that dead tree media is in decline.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby GregS » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:23 am

'Tis a shame, as I have found this forum extremely helpful in the past - while the mag is, sadly, not so much any more, at least for one of my interests and abilities.

Thanks for all the help.
GregS
GregS
LXF regular

Postby Bazza » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Thanks for allowing me to upload AudioScope over the years.

I have responded here:-

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15868&start=75

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...

The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:48 am

Not really surprised as the core team keeping the forums afloat left in the latest shuffle-up at Future. IMO the new team had some boots to fill but realistically didn't got the chance to fulfil their potential. Had the changes been implemented more gradually, survival of the community may have been possible. Even 1sf abandoned ship!

But as it stands, the forum does contain a wealth of info, some outdated while others still current, so is there a chance it could be made accessible read-only for future reference (s'cuse the pun :P ) If not, I'd like to have a full backup copy for personal use.

So, bye all, it was a nice community to work in/with. Thanks to all who contributed and answered my queries throughout the years. I guess I'd be (re)turning to Linux Questions now then :roll:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:30 pm

Dutch_Master wrote:Not really surprised as the core team keeping the forums afloat left in the latest shuffle-up at Future.

There was no reshuffle, the team resigned en masse. In fact it was mainly Mike looking after the forums, and Jonni has put in a lot of work behind the scenes to keep it going - I see the hundreds of subscription attempts per week by spammers. Jonni may not have posted as frequently as Mike did, but he still put in a lot of time keeping the forums usable.

It seems that LXF's independent web site was always something that was tolerated by Future more than encouraged. But when it takes longer to deal with the spam than read the posts, you can understand why Future may prefer than the staff spend their time on what they are paid to do.

Yes, I agree that setting the site read only rather than closing it completely would be useful, although possibly impractical with the move to a new server, unless there is a way of exporting phpBB forums to a set of static pages.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby guy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:40 am

nelz wrote:hundreds of subscription attempts per week by spammers.

More sophisticated subscription procedures have become commonplace on most forums, why not here? A decent captcha or a personal administrative acceptance would stop most spammers from posting.

Yes, I agree that setting the site read only rather than closing it completely would be useful, although possibly impractical with the move to a new server, unless there is a way of exporting phpBB forums to a set of static pages.

A phpBB server is hardly rocket science. With it set to read-only, what administrative overhead would there be?

Or, how about a competition in the mag - write a script to pull every page of every thread off a bulletin board and rewrite any cross-links to still work?
"We don't need no frikkin' aliens, we c'n do this ourselves!" — anon.
guy
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:57 pm

guy wrote:
nelz wrote:hundreds of subscription attempts per week by spammers.

More sophisticated subscription procedures have become commonplace on most forums, why not here? A decent captcha or a personal administrative acceptance would stop most spammers from posting.

Which is exactly what happens. I did say "subscription attempts", you see very little spam, don't you.

guy wrote:

A phpBB server is hardly rocket science. With it set to read-only, what administrative overhead would there be?

Probably very little, which is why I endorsed it. The main question is will it be possible to even install phpBB on the new server?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby guy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:42 am

nelz wrote: The main question is will it be possible to even install phpBB on the new server?

Pardon my ignorance, but why would it not be possible? A move away from LAMP architecture or something?
guy
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:25 pm

LXF currently run their own server, which is unusual among Future mags. If, and I'm only postulating here, they move to a central server, they may not have the option to install phpBB, or anything else. I suppose all will become clear in the fullness of time.
nelz
Site admin

Postby guy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:49 pm

Probably, by the time you get permission to install phpBB, the new server will be end-of-life and about to be retired, eh? Ain't large organisations wunnerful. You have my sympathy.

P.S. I couldn't possibly suggest that you hack the requirements specification for the new server. :wink:
guy
LXF regular

Postby oldpenguin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:31 am

sorry to read this!
PLEASE CONSIDER A DVD ISSUE WITH THE BEST OF THE FORUM
especially help, how2's, and lug contacts.
after it's down.
oldpenguin

Return to Announcements