Issue 225 DVD and Virtualbox with Ubuntu -blank screen

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Issue 225 DVD and Virtualbox with Ubuntu -blank screen

Postby harijay » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:02 pm

I am trying to test run the Issue 225 DVD with Ubuntu 17.04 Desktop remix releases using Virtualbox ( 5.0.020 r106931) running on a host Mac OSX ( running OSX 10.12.5

When I try Solus install from the DVD on Virtualbox everything works.I can run the distro and install packages etc.

When I try the Ubuntu Gnome, Ubuntu XFCE or any Ubuntu release. The screen goes blank and nothing shows up after I select the install. If I reboot after it staying blank ..I get a purple background Ubuntu login prompt..which again goes to blank screen after I login.

I tried Ubuntu releases with Hardware acceleration enabled and disabled and both showed the same behavior. How can I get the Ubuntu releases to boot up in Virtualbox.

Thanks
Hari
harijay

Re: Issue 225 DVD and Virtualbox with Ubuntu -blank screen

Postby nelz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:35 pm

It sounds like Ubuntu does not have the correct video driver for whichever video card VirtualBox is emulating. I tested the DVD with Qemu and it worked with both the VESA and VMware virtual video cards.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: Issue 225 DVD and Virtualbox with Ubuntu -blank screen

Postby ajgreeny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:03 pm

I heven't got the DVD with me the moment but when I want to use a VM of any of the OSs on the DVD I find it preferable to simply boot the .iso file which I first copy from the DVD to my machine hard disk.

That has never failed me.
Xubuntu 16.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs