Keyboard & mouse not recognised

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Keyboard & mouse not recognised

Postby iand » Wed May 17, 2017 5:09 pm

Not sure if this is a Linux problem. I have built a dual boot system Mint 18.1 and Windows 7 Pro (have to have the Windows as sat-nav updates won't work on Linux basic or Wine). If I re-boot from Linux to Win7 the mouse and keyboard don't work (don't know if there are other problems as I can't log on!). If I boot Win7 from a powered-down machine all is well.
Are there some checks I can do on the Linux install? Linux is installed on a Samsung SSD and Win7 on a hard drive.
iand

Re: Keyboard & mouse not recognised

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu May 18, 2017 5:09 am

Very odd. After reboot into Win7, have you tried to remove the cable from the USB port for both, then re-attach them. Does Win7 see either or both after that?

I'm inclined to think this is a hardware problem. Do you have another keyboard or mouse for a (temporary) swap?
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu May 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Are these wired or wireless devices? What make?

Do other USB devices work after rebooting into Windows, that will help to see whether it is a problem with input devices or the USB ports.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby iand » Fri May 19, 2017 3:06 pm

After booting from cold into Win7, devices worked, removed Logitech keyboard, checked no keystrokes in text editor, plugged in, working fine. All other usb seems to be working. Think I'll just boot from cold on the occasions I need Win7 and not take this further. Thanks for responding.
iand

Return to Hardware