What does Windows do for you that Linux doesn't?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Re: What does Windows do for you that Linux doesn't?

Postby nelz » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:47 am

There was also the effort put in by Greg K-H to work with hardware manufacturers to get support for their equipment into the kernel tree.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Bazza » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:50 pm

I must say Linux has a huge advantage on Apple gear too for hardware access...

Arduino just would not work without the proprietary FTDI serial drivers for OSX 10.7 and later.
It was detected OK but would not work. ;o(
Off to the FTDI site to download and install the drivers. ;o/

When installed the '/dev' drawer gave 2 drivers for it, one worked the other one didn't... :-/

See AudioScope.sh for a simple means of finding the correct driver once installed here...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15868&start=60

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...

The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:33 pm

It just works. My Windows Laptop cost £215 second user, with a 7 day guarantee on the battery, and 3 month guarantee with 8.0 on. I put Windows 10 Home upgrade on it for free. Everything just works. It's got 6 gigs of ram, an AMD Processor & ATI Graphics but when I open the ATI app, and it has tons of options I can play with. I love that. Whereas on Linux, very few options for the ATI propriety driver. And I like the fact that they keyboard has all the right symbols on it etc and support in case it stops working. On the Chromebook, which I bought to run Linux, I can only use the crouton chroot; I bought the wrong Chromebook. Mine has a 32 gig ssd {most has 16 at the time I bought it, just over a year ago} but to get it to boot off a usb gig stick, I'd have to write a custom bios, which well, the one thing I've never done since using PCs in '94 is a Bios upgrade. Never got round to it. I did flush my 56K Flex modem Pipex sent me when I used to Beta test for them though! A long time ago, back in the 56k Flex \ X2 days! Netscape Navigator was KING. 8) Crouton which is brill way to run Linux, but it crashes too often, whereas ChromeOS developer never seems to crash. Amy won't let me anywhere near her Mac! Sensible LA ss... None of my mates let me anywhere near their computers either, cos they are never the sane afterwards! They just work. If the setting is wrong, I just automatically just change it. I've tried, but I just find it so difficult to resist doing this. Also, I cannot resist messing with all the settings, on my own machines, and see what I can make it do, even when I have no idea what they are! Here, Google is my best friend! Close with Wikipedia though. So I guess I am an original hacker in the true sense of the word!

What else? I can run Virtual DJ & Ableton Live. Can do that also on a Mac, but Mac's are too expensive for me at mo.... Can't justify £14oo for one the same as Amy's, with Logic 10 on it. Logic, is the CuBase on The Mac, and is written by Apple and is the Music Package that dominates the Pro Music scene, and it's by Apple so tons of support \ tutorials etc is ace, but hmmmm can't justify the cost to ''upgrade'' at the mo ThatIs. Might look into getting a second user MacBook Pro. My Local Mac guy has one in for £780 it's a couple years old but runs Yosemate, and has 8 gigs RAM.

Bad points about Windows 10. Updates take too long, and it takes too long to reset, but once it's running it's brill. I never switch it off, and just let it goto sleep. Very responsive, never crashes, and rarely needs a reboot. I let it do that when I sleep; yes; I do sleep sometimes!!!!! Allegedly...... ;) 8) %)

Windows uses up a lot more hard disk space, which is not really a problem these days with the size of hard drives in modern machines. For example, I had a Windows 7 laptop a year ago, did a factory reset off the backup partition, left it 2 days doing all the updates, and when then it was finished, with no software installed, it took up about 60 gigs! That was Windows 7 Home Premium. I don't know what the differences between Home, Premium, Pro etc are. So, again, Linux is better for old machines that are CPU \ memory limited and can't run Windows 7 at an acceptable speed, but old hardware can be unreliable and uses more electricity. I think, one of my problems {of many? ;} is that I like to run the latest stable OS I can, so maybe I am asking too much of old hardware? Answer, upgrade the hardware. And then you have the prob of to upgrade the memory you need a new motherboard which then require different CPU etc, and it's cheaper to buy a new machine or second user, but then isn't the idea to make an old machine useful? Running Windows taxes the CPU more, requiring anti-virus software, but, for me, with my current hardware, it's fast enough to run the apps I run, which are mostly the same, and are open source.

Don't get me wrong, I love Linux, and I ran Linux only from Fedora 10 \ Ubuntu Studio 8.10 time until about Studio 11.10 I understand the concepts of free software, and propriety software etc. I understand, than Linux is fundamentally better than Windows, but Windows 7 & Windows 10 are good enough, for me, for what I want to do, at the mo. What I find, is I'll boot up Linux, and when something doesn't work, rather than sort it out, I just reboot into Windows. And then, in practise, I end up running windows all the time... To cut a long story short, The End. If the motive is computing on a budget, how much do you went to spend, and what do you expect in return?

Keep Calm & Carry On.
--
http://Www.Armani.PM
tB.xx
Last edited by Alex01UK on Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AMD QUAD A4 5000, AMD Radeon HD 8330, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 17.04 \ 32bit Mint 18.1 MATE \ Windows 10 Home.
--
Www Armani.PM <- Live Streaming o24\oo7\366.
''I'm smarter than the average Bear Boo Boo; Let's get some pikkernick baskets!''
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:24 pm

Of course it all just works when the software is pre-installed. Exactly the same was true of Ubuntu on this laptop, because Dell made sure everything needed was installed and set up. Once you decide to install an OS other than what was provided, it's up to you to make sure everything works.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Alex01UK » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:57 am

Hi Nelz, good to see you again. 8) Yes, of course the laptop I bought, a 2013 model, had no apps installed other than the OS. Windows 8.0 in my case. So the first thing I did was fully charge the battery & make sure the battery was ok as that was only guaranteed for 7 days, then I put 10 on it (don't wait for the update icon to appear etc; download the 4 gig iso off the Microsoft.com, burn a dvd, and click on setup.exe and goto bed. It was finished when I woke up 8 hrs later don't know if it had to reset many times or what cos I took all the passwords off my bios \ auto login etc) and then installed all my Windows software off my usb hard drive.

I've paid for NOD32 from ESET.com for my Virus Protection. it's really not that expensive, a 3 machine license, so my Dad has that installed on his Laptop too now! Yes, I know that Linux does not ''need'' Virus Protection, so is much better and the anti-virus software will take up processor time etc, but, what with the state of the market, even todays cheap processor options will run an OS just fine, with Virus protection running.

Windows software, games especially, are designed to run on the latest hardware (to give the product a longer shelf life), so if you have hardware good enough to run Windows 10, then fine, run that, or Windows 7. If you have older hardware, that can't run Windows 7s, then Linux is a much better option, but with the price of hardware these days, I believe that it's false economy trying to use old hardware to run your latest OS. Older hardware is more likely to crash, as things die of old age etc. So, if your PC can run Windows 7, excellent, if you're machine can't run Windows 7, Linux is the only option really, but don't use it as your main machine. The speed will frustrate you ''sometimes''... ;)

Windows 7 is an excellent OS to run Open Source apps, as is 10. I use the same apps mostly whether I am running Windows or Linux, and it gets to the point sometimes where I loose track whether I am running Windows or Linux! Re: Propriety drivers, my understanding, is that NVIDEA & ATI think that their hardware is better, so they don't open source all the ''blueprints''? Most Laptops seem to have ATI graphics, so my thought is why do ''you'' think you can do a better job than Acer, or Packard Bell in my case, in create a system? Especially when you have all the blue prints? I guess, if you don't have ATI or Nvidea hardware, and your graphics are open source, then Linux is looking a much better option, but like I say, when looking for Laptops, they all seemed to have ATI...

Of course, I may be very much mistaken...

Keep Calm & Carry On, from: Alex & 0L1K, Le Chat Noir.
--
AMD QUAD A4 5000, AMD Radeon HD 8330, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 17.04 \ 32bit Mint 18.1 MATE \ Windows 10 Home.
--
''I'm smarter than the average Bear Boo Boo; Let's get some pikkernick baskets!''
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby guy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:57 am

When proprietary and branded medicines, food, drink, clothing, printer inks, cigarettes, etc. etc. are all available, why should anybody ever want to roll their own? yeah, and graphics drivers.

Now think thalidomide, trans fats, teeth-rotting sugar, £150 trainers, chipped ink cartridges, lung cancer, etc. etc. and you have to ask? yeah, and crippled "F*** you, NVidia!" Linux drivers.

Aww, c'm on Alex, you may be an airhead when you get carried away with the stream of your own consciousness, but you are not that much of an airhead are you? Think Nouveau when you next want a killer machine for your Steam account.
"We don't need no frikkin' aliens, we c'n do this ourselves!" — anon.
guy
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi Guy! I guess it is a case of you become who you associate with. Ubuntu Studio is a distribution aimed for creative people. Musicians, Graphics designers etc, than don't know anything about computers, and don't need to. I'm trying to use The OS from an artists point of view, which is often why I ask questions when I can find the answers to myself online. The average artist can't do this as well as somebody like me now. I know what you mean regarding Steam, but I don't play games anymore, other than Facebook Poker & Facebook MafiaWars, but I rarely do that even these days.
--
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:25 pm

I work on a mix of Windows/Linux/Mac/BSD networks during the day(mostly).

There are no Windows computers in my home, apart from one that I use for testing software for articles that I write, and that one hasn't been booted for at least 6 months.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:46 pm

The only people that phone me nowadays are having problems with windows because the thing is so bloody obtuse and the only thing that seems to work is hard reboot and then safe mode then clean up crap and malware and start again, bit like banging your head against the wall.
These are generally older people who have had a computer bought for them by their "children" ;-) :(
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Bazza » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:58 pm

I still have a Windwoes machine which I purchased new 9 months ago from Currys in Loughborough.
160 UKP and is a bare minimum machine with Windows 8.1 <- STHITE is a polite name to call it.
I HAD to install a (Shell) Start button to make it al least usable as Windows users know.

I am now at the point where I have NO choice but to install Windows 10 as updates now include that
by default and there is no longer a way to disable it; at least I have the option to upgrade an Apple machine
if I so desire also for "FREE".

All I wanted it for is WinUAE, CygWin and CygWin64 <- which created a few headaches with AudioScope.sh.

I am an active member of LAG, (Lincolnshire Amiga Group), and the guys that are using AMIGA-OS 4.1 have
demo-ed how slick that front end is. When WIndows can even get half close to that and my MBP then I might
go the whole hog and get a real PC with the latest greatest et-phone-home-bloatware on the planet. Until then......

Even Linux flavours front ends on laptops/desktops are not as slick.

REAL time, and I mean REAL TIME, not the pseudo-real time that current Windoze uses, bootups are quick on this
and now I have Yosemite on the iMac it is even quicker. Most Linux flavours are not exactly racers for cold booting either.

AudioScope.sh has taught me a lot about the *NIX flavours and as some people on here know, my banging of the metal.

Windows just does not have that flexibility that EVERYTHING is a file, and frankly Apple too when it comes to core audio.

Try using a similar approach to /dev/audio, (logarythmically related amplitude), or /dev/dsp, (linearly related amplitude), O/P
under Windows for quick LORES recordings.
As an example under Linux with OSS or Pulse-Audio, a noise generator:-

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp

Or short bursts of LORES audio for a pseudo-baby_alarm:-

cat /dev/dsp > /dev/dsp

Try that on Windows...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...

The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:30 pm

Easy. Printer werks, flash werks, Can Run Micrsoft Edge. What I do, is run Linux until I can't get summat werking. Then rather than sort it out, I just reboot into Windows 10. It's really good. Well, not so recently. It's no longer a free update to 7 \ 8 \ 8.1. All the new features have bugs and are causing loads of probs for people at mo. #I'm Very busy at mo! #Kerching............. 8p
--
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Other OS