Linux - Why do you use it ?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Re: Linux - Why do you use it ?

Postby lok1950 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:32 am

The main thing you have to wrap your head around for Linux is that you are in control not the OS as it does exactly what you tell it to do without all the hand holding that OSX and Wnidows does that can be scary at first till you become familiar with it and don't be afraid to ask questions on any of the various forums we have all been where you are at the moment :? so welcome to adult computer usage.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box:Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.2 Win 7 acer S243HL K222HQL
amd XP1800 on a asusA7N8x/ 789Mb ram/ sda 120 Gb ntfs sdb 80 Gb ext3 (fedora 10) gForce 6800 gt 128 Mb
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:49 am

Well said. 64 bit Ubuntu Studio 17.04 on my Gigstick {USB Harddrive electronic state hard drive.
We call the Gigsticks at The College} Beta Testing again For: Ubuntu Studio 17.o4.
AMD QUAD A4 5000, AMD Radeon HD 8330, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 17.04 \ 32bit Mint 18.1 MATE \ Windows 10 Home.
--
Www Armani.PM <- Live Streaming o24\oo7\366.
''I'm smarter than the average Bear Boo Boo; Let's get some pikkernick baskets!''
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby emmaya » Mon May 01, 2017 5:30 pm

guy wrote:1. Choice. Whatever mess my previously favourite distro or tool "upgrades" itself into, another one will pop up to save my sanity. The business world expresses it this way, "Do you want to mould your business model to somebody else's software, or to mould their software to your business model?" The rest of this list are really just examples of this overriding value.

2. Security. Apple have only just discovered we want adblockers, you can still click a Microsoft Office document in your email and your soul is pwned again.

3. Openness. On what other platform can you rip apart a pdf and recover its constituent parts - text, images and such - or shuffle pages in and out and even edit them, and all for free?

4. Maintainability. If it's broke, there's a way. I don't get stopped cold by an incomplete toolset or an arrogant and stubborn support desk. Bash is like my dentist; much as I try to avoid it, it is always there when I do need it.

5. Future-proofing. I have upgraded and migrated systems many times with minimal pain. The only times I ever lost stuff was when some proprietary and Windows-specific app or other refused to cooperate.

6. Cost. I have not paid for any software in a very long time.

The best explanation ever!
To want to, is to be able to.
emmaya

Postby guy » Tue May 02, 2017 8:59 am

:)
"We don't need no frikkin' aliens, we c'n do this ourselves!" — anon.
guy
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Discussion