advice on changing ISP to fibre superfast !! network

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

advice on changing ISP to fibre superfast !! network

Postby guinpen » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi We have just had 'a fibre optic network installed in our village after years of woefully slow broadband 0,5 meg at best little better than dial up.
My current ISP is Plusnet but I am thinking of changing to EE' similar monthly fees to Pusnet but the advantage of a free EE tv box.
Both ISPs are quoting download speeds of 35MB+ ,but am I likley to get this speed in reality ?
Are there any members using either ISP provider for a fibre connection ,your views and comments will be appreciated before I commit to a contract.

Thank you
Guipen
Last edited by guinpen on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
guinpen

Re: advice on changing ISP to fibre superfast !! network

Postby nelz » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:02 pm

You don't need to change ISP, if you are currently on ADSL on a BT line, you should be able to upgrade your package to fibre with your existing ISP.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby guinpen » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi Nelz Thanks for the info, are the download speeds being quoted a realistic speed ?
guinpen

Postby nelz » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:28 pm

It depends on how far you are from the cabinet. I am about as far as it is possible to get from one and the speed checker gave a lowish speed, which turned out to be almost spot-on.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby ajgreeny » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:23 pm

I am with EE and upgraded in December to a 38Mb/s plan and very luckily for me, we live only a matter of yards from the cabinet for fibre broadband.

I have just done a test on speedtest.net and got speeds of 37.06 download and 9.07 upload, so at least it shows that it is possible to get very close to the speeds your ISP tells you you are on.

In my case one of the biggest advantages of the change from copper-wire broadband to fibre was the change of router that came with the upgrade, ie from an older model Netgear ADSL router to a BrightBox2 ADSL/VDSL router that simply plugged into the telephone socket; no visit was needed from an EE engineer to make the change, and the wifi signal is a lot better and now reaches all parts of my house instead of leaving several blackspots as the old router did.

I didn't get a free EE TV box but I did get a NowTV smartbox with three months subscription to the entertainment channel instead, which is reasonable, and as a sweetener for staying with EE I got a good discount from the full listed monthly cost.

I am aware that EE did not get good reviews for its customer service in the past, but the very few times I have needed to contact them I have got good service, and I have had no problems with their broadband in the past, and certainly not now with the fibre plan.

As a counter to all that I have several friends and colleagues who use Plusnet and also find that it is very good and problem free service.

PS: With EE and probably other ISPs you can save a lot by paying in advance for your line-rental for a year; by doing that I am paying £11 per month for the line and £16 per month for the fibre broadband including all calls (including to mobiles and many international destinations) which seems pretty good value to me and has been completely reliable.
Xubuntu 16.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby guinpen » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:28 am

Hi ajgreeny. Thank you for taking the time to post a informative reply your information is a big help.
Guinpen
guinpen

Postby bscho » Fri May 19, 2017 1:12 pm

20 premium entertainment channels, and BT Sport Lite included as standard and infra red controller with plusnet for £5 extra. Does that beat the free box from EE

Did you go to EE how was it?
bscho

Return to Discussion