Reinstallation of applications after upgrade

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Reinstallation of applications after upgrade

Postby fede » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:07 pm

I am sure this has been addressed a zillion times before, but I could not find a post on this (not that good at setting up queries).

The temptation to update to a new version (e.g. Ubuntu 13.10 to 14.04) rather than going through a fresh install comes form the drudgery of reinstalling all the packages that one has added in the previous iteration. It used to be that dpkg --get-selections/--set-selections would do the job of reinstlling what you had in the previous iteration on Debian/Ubuntu, but it hasn't worked for me in over a year (on trying --set-selections I get all error messages stating that the item is not in the database, and nothing gets installed (yes, I had updated sources.list).

Is there another way, or am I missing something that is easily fixed?

Thank you!
fede
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:43 am

You need something else to get the required packages.

The full procedure:

Before the upgrade:
Code: Select all
sudo dpkg --get-selections > /home/<user>/selections.txt

Make sure you copy the file selections.txt to a backup medium, with the rest of your data!

After the upgrade:
Copy the file selections.txt back to your drive and navigate to it with the cd command, then:
sudo apt-get install dselect
sudo dpkg --set-selections < selections.txt
sudo dselect install
This'll take some time, so get a cuppa of sorts ;)

Done :)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:07 am

That's all very well but what if you don't do the first part :roll: :roll: :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby nelz » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:10 am

apt-get dist-upgrade

saves the hassle and avoids the drudgery of reconfiguring things after each new release.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby towy71 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:22 am

I have bitter personal experience of the dist-upgrade thing, luckily I had backed everything up :oops: :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby fede » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:52 am

Dutch_Master wrote:You need something else to get the required packages.

The full procedure:

Before the upgrade:
sudo dpkg --get-selections > /home/<user>/selections.txt

Make sure you copy the file selections.txt to a backup medium, with the rest of your data!

After the upgrade:
Copy the file selections.txt back to your drive and navigate to it with the cd command, then:
sudo apt-get install dselect
sudo dpkg --set-selections < selections.txt
sudo dselect install
This'll take some time, so get a cuppa of sorts ;)

Done :)

Thanks. What I notice I haven't been doing (it was not mentioned in old Debian-related info) is the step

>sudo apt-get install dselect

I suppose I have to assume that this is where I tripped. But what does this instruction actually do? And, assuming I will soon lose my job and have some time to play around, is there a source to learn how this works? Just joking, but not as much as I'd like ;-)

Anyway, thanks - I'll try that (I keep my /home/ partition no matter what anyway)
fede
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:09 am

Well, it does really what it says: instruct apt-get (the package management tool) to install the package dselect, with sudo rights. If you want to know more, type the following in a terminal and hit enter:
man man
Use the up/down arrows to read more and press the q key to quit. Linux can be so easy, if you know where to look :P ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby fede » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:48 pm

Dutch_Master wrote:Well, it does really what it says: instruct apt-get (the package management tool) to install the package dselect, with sudo rights. If you want to know more, type the following in a terminal and hit enter:
man man
Use the up/down arrows to read more and press the q key to quit. Linux can be so easy, if you know where to look :P ;)

So right! And, I must have been very tired when I asked that last question... :x Unconsciously, I just assumed that dselect was built in or installed by default. Oh, well... Thanks and thanks to you and the forum for being there even for dumb questions!
fede
LXF regular

Return to Help!