Setting up an ssd

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Setting up an ssd

Postby towy71 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:01 pm

I have got a Samsung 250gb ssd for Christmas thinking that I would stick it in my desktop and play but, have spent a couple of days reading about people burning their new ssd out, I am looking for an elegant and easy solution before ruining a good bit of kit.

Please help
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Re: Setting up an ssd

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:33 pm

Modern SSD's are much better then early devices, who could indeed be worn out by incorrect formatting. Today's drives have modern algorithms available for proper wear distribution and partition alignment. Create a 25GB root partition and keep the rest as /home, unless you really need (want) separate /var and /usr partitions.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:02 pm

Or use btrfs, which has features to play nicely with SSDs. The most important thing is to make sure the first partition starts at block 2048, which modern versions of gdisk and fdisk default to.

There was a tutorial on this in LXF 160, the information in there is still pertinent.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby towy71 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:55 am

nelz wrote:Or use btrfs, which has features to play nicely with SSDs. The most important thing is to make sure the first partition starts at block 2048, which modern versions of gdisk and fdisk default to.

There was a tutorial on this in LXF 160, the information in there is still pertinent.
Luckily I have a shelf full of LXF mags all in chronological order :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Return to Help!