What does Windows do for you that Linux doesn't?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

What does Windows do for you that Linux doesn't?

Postby guy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:31 am

I have been Linux-only for years (If you count Android as Linux). But some Linux folks cannot kick the endless Windows upgrade cycle. Why not?
"We don't need no frikkin' aliens, we c'n do this ourselves!" — anon.
guy
LXF regular

Re: What does Windows do for you that Linux doesn't?

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:33 am

The huge amount of installed Proprietary software.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:55 pm

I have a printer that works fine under linux but the maker only supplies windows software to configure the wifi and it seems only their windows software prints successfully on glossy paper :twisted: :evil:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Bazza » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:48 pm

guy wrote:What does Windows do for you that Linux doesn't?

Cost you the earth for proprietary software and OS upgrades?! There is a plathora of FLOSS stuff out there that can be considered equal if not better than ET phone home with keystroke and other covert monitoring proprietary junk.

Yes I use Apple gear but it is inherently stable although not as stable as some Linux flavours, plus the kernel is or was open source and the middle end is UNIX like.

Linux Mint and OSX 10.7.x and 10.10.x; what more could I want?

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...

The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:09 am

At home, I only use Linux.
But at work I support mostly Windows based customers.
For SMEs, Linux is often a step too far.
We use LINUX, BSD and Apple as well as Windows, but our customers mainly use Windows and Apple.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Bazza » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:08 am

I have tecently retired, (October), and my ex-company's OSes are Windows centric.
The reason is that all the two way radio programming software is ONLY Windows centric too.
Sage, the accounts package is also Windows biased.
The amount of crashes the various Radio programming software caused was rediculous.
Even Sage had its foibles...
That is not to say that Linux would not suffer many of the same problems but at least an app' crash rarely brings down the whole system.
The Radio programming SW crashes forced a full power down and complete reboot...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...

Bazza
LXF regular

Postby PLan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:36 pm

Windows is the de facto standard desktop operating system, it has phenomenal hardware and software support - that means it makes life much much easier in many cases.
PLan

Postby nelz » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:38 pm

Windows has very poor hardware support in that it supports very little. By contrast, most hardware has very good Windows support. That's why adding new hardware to Windows almost always requires installation of some sort of driver package.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:34 am

The harware support in Linux is excellent these days, virtually all hardware, including much that has been dropped by winfows, works without sny user interaction..
Contrast the inadequate unreliable mess that is WSD print and scan with the largely transparent installation of full drivers in Linux.
We turn it off on devices because it usually installs a basic generic driver automatically, and blocks the full driver.
Anyone who has spent hours searching for the correct chipset drivers for a less popular motherboard knows just how bad windows hardware support can be.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby PLan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:15 pm

nelz wrote:Windows has very poor hardware support in that it supports very little. By contrast, most hardware has very good Windows support. That's why adding new hardware to Windows almost always requires installation of some sort of driver package.

I was referring to industry support, but I'm glad I gave you the opportunity to attempt to be a smart-arse. :roll:
PLan

Postby towy71 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:11 pm

It increases my heart rate but not in a good way :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Bazza » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:58 pm

PLan wrote:
nelz wrote:Windows has very poor hardware support in that it supports very little. By contrast, most hardware has very good Windows support. That's why adding new hardware to Windows almost always requires installation of some sort of driver package.

I was referring to industry support, but I'm glad I gave you the opportunity to attempt to be a smart-arse. :roll:

Smart-arse or not let us hope that Windows does not control life critical medical gear, critical military control gear and core CERN atomic reaearch control gear. I won't use the old joke about the BSOD...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...

Bazza
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:18 pm

ie: life critical medical gear still using XP as quite a few of the manufactures are gone so no software updates and the gear still works so massive contracts to maintain XP at least in this province also medical records systems that also have heavy licences fees and no upgrade path to new versions of Windows.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box:Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.2 Win 7 acer S243HL K222HQL
amd XP1800 on a asusA7N8x/ 789Mb ram/ sda 120 Gb ntfs sdb 80 Gb ext3 (fedora 10) gForce 6800 gt 128 Mb
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:06 am

You stated that Windows has phenomenal hardware support, it doesn't. if you meant something else, you should have said something else. On the other hand, Linux does have excellent hardware support - usually, but not always, with the help of the manufacturers. Either way, the drivers are in the kernel, so we can be confident they don't clash with one another.

Feel free to ignore or dismiss the observations of a smart arse, that has no bearing on their validity.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:34 am

There is a good reason that Linux hardware support has improved, the majority of current hardware out there runs some form of BSD or Linux as an OS.
There is only one printer/MFD manufacturer still using embedded Windows, Toshiba devices use Linux, Ricoh use netBSD and now Android, and most of the others use BSD or their own Unix derived RTOS.
Most business devices now ship with Linux drivers.
Apple runs on BSD.
NAS devices, Phones, heating controllers, digital signage, supercomputers etc, etc.
Sony use Linux in their Bluray players, DVRs and video cameras, and so on.
So a manufacturer ignoring Linux would be stupid.
Windows only dominates in the Home and Small business arenas, the enterprise backend is *ix

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Next

Return to Other OS