A marketing plan for Linux and a few conferences... a catchy line backed by some stats! How about using some M$ tactics too... Please note this is all GNU/GPL
The Linux line:
"Face the Facts..."
"Worldwide Linux server shipments grew 61.2%...Gartner report 25 August 2004"
"Linux servers out grew legacy OSes... Gartner report 25 August 2004"
Face the Facts:
1. Why would any serious software house associate itself with Claria/Gator?
2. The most used software gets target by virus writers. Only poorly designed software allows viruses through.
3. Linux was designed backwards, security first then everything else came into place
4. M$ have only just started taking security seriously. oreillynet Preston Gralla Mar. 17, 2004
5 M$ senior VP admits M$ needs to get "the right tools" to IT managers to mitigate secrity issues cnet report March 16, 2004,
6. Bob Muglia senior VP concedes that past security problems could "have been prevented with the right tools" cnet report March 16, 2004.
M$ use one of many marketing styles. "Fill in the gaps" is always a good one. Most people would trust a name like Gartner or IDC. How many of you immediately shot off to google to pull down the above stories. The first one from Gartner ends just before Q2 but has ... to denote it carries on. The rest is just spin on various stories, each backing up a statment.