I just thought I'd put in a post about a company I am setting up called Marvin Computers, and see if there was any interest in the community. I've been working on some models, and Linux compatible hardware, with the aim of primarily building high quality, Linux systems in the UK and Europe. I will ship to any part of the world of course
I wanted to see if there was any interest in these systems in the Linux community, and get some feedback about products to develop, and what sort of specification and price ranges people would be interested in. I'd like to make sure I provide products people want, at fair prices, and so I hoped the Linux community would be a good place to start. Sorry if this is a shameless plug, or is not suitable for the forum it's in...
The website (not yet live) is at http://www.marvincomputers.co.uk
. You won't be able to purchase anything yet, but you can take a look and let me know what you think, and I'd love to get feedback about what sort of hardware and software you'd like me to stock. The password for the site is testing
. You'll need that to get onto the site until it launches.
A few ideas which I will be implementing, but might not be clear yet from the site:
- We'll be stocking a range of commercial software for Linux, including games.
- I'm planning a HTPC Mythbuntu/MythTV model in the future
- I'd like to add some AMD based models, and am presently researching that
- I'm interested in providing a Linux music recording (DAW) solution at some point
- I'd like to stock a range of lower end PCs too, which are cheaper, but keeping in with the same sort of high end designs.
- I'd like to include legal BluRay playback software, but none is yet available for Linux (at least that I am aware of).
- All the PCs will include Fluendo codecs licenses when sold with Linux.
I'm focussing on Ubuntu to start off with, but I hope to be able to add testing of more distributions in the future.
Anyway, sorry for going on! I hope there's some interest, and I'd love to hear your comments, good or bad, about the site and the products.
Oh by the way, if you provide me with any feedback I'd by happy to PM you a 15% discount code for the site when it launches - just ask