Hard Drive Access Denied[SOLVED]

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Hard Drive Access Denied[SOLVED]

Postby DavePritchard » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi,
Pc-Linux 64bit KDE5(Plasma) fully updated,
I have an internal second hard drive that I wish to use as a backup.
The drive shows up in Dolphin, but if I try to drag and drop a file to it I get the following :-
[MESSAGE]
Access Denied, Could not write to.
[END]
The drive is formatted ext4, and mount point is /home

Any advise on how to get access to the drive most welcome.
Dave P..
Last edited by DavePritchard on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavePritchard

Re: Hard Drive Access Denied

Postby lok1950 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:35 am

Time to open a terminal and find out what exactly the permissions are try as your normal user first but be prepared to up the anti to root so you can change them to what you what :wink: Though Dolphin should also show you those permissions.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box:Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.2 Win 7 acer S243HL K222HQL
amd XP1800 on a asusA7N8x/ 789Mb ram/ sda 120 Gb ntfs sdb 80 Gb ext3 (fedora 10) gForce 6800 gt 128 Mb
lok1950
LXF regular

Re: Hard Drive Access Denied

Postby DavePritchard » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks for the reply,
I didn't know Dolphin could do the permissions for hard drives, but cracked it now, bit puzzled by the following.
When I tried su "password" Dolphin, I got this :-
[CODE]
[root@localhost dave]# dolphin
QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /tmp/runtime-dave, 500 instead of 0
QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /tmp/runtime-dave, 500 instead of 0
"Session bus not found\nTo circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)\nexport $(dbus-launch)"
[root@localhost dave]#
[END]
Finally found "Open a console as administrator" used "Dolphin %u" and Dolphin opened.
I Don't know what the %u is for, or if it made any difference here.
However all is Ok now, angai many thanks.
Dave P..
DavePritchard

Re: Hard Drive Access Denied[SOLVED]

Postby nelz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:14 am

With su you have root permissions but are still logged in as your user. Use su -l for a full root login.

You don't set permissions on hard drives, you set them on directories. When you created the ext4 filesystem on the drive the root directory was owned by root, that's what you changed. Despite the advice you often find on the internet, ownership of the mount point is irrelevant, it is the ddata on the filesystem that carries the permissions.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!