Jan 2017 - RPi voice control

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Jan 2017 - RPi voice control

Postby boodysaspie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:05 pm

I'm trying to set up a Pi in my garage to a) play mp3s and b) display my workshop manual in pdf format. I love the idea of voice control - I think moc will do the trick for mp3s, but I'm not settled on a pdf reader.

At the moment I have mupdf, which is lightweight and quick, but I can't figure out how to change pages.

The manual is in one multi-page document. I can't figure out how to issue a terminal command to change pages (next, back, goto <n>).

I've tried to separate each page into its own document, so for example "index" opens the index, but when I then choose "seventeen" I get a second instance of mupdf opening, which is ... wrong.

Ideally I want to close the index page and then open page 17, all in one instance. Failing that, I suppose I could open "index" > close app > open page 17? Is there a polite way to close the app without killing it?

Is there a better pdf app for this purpose, with a command-line interface?

Ta muchly
boodysaspie

Re: Jan 2017 - RPi voice control

Postby nelz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:06 pm

qpdfview has a D-Bus interface, so you should be able to control it from a script.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!