Strange intermittent problem with Samba shares

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Strange intermittent problem with Samba shares

Postby paulm » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:53 pm

Running Arch Linux, with Xfce as DE, I've hit a strange problem with Samba shares. Not something I use much, but its still useful to have the ability to access them when needed, so I keep a few shares on my own network for testing.

I had a problem attempting to configure shares on an Ubuntu 16.04 server. Since then, I've been having intermittent problems accessing Samba shares through a file manager. I can mount them using moun -t cifs, but accessing them through Thunar or PcmanFM works some of the time, and fails at others.

Since it affects both Thunar and PcmanFM, I think the problem is with one of the support packages. I have gvfs-smb installed, which is used along with udiskie2 for mounting that type of share. But I'm not seeing any errors in dmesg or the systemd journal.

Sometimes I can open Thunar, click "Browse Network", select the workgroup, select a machine, select a share and mount it after being prompted to enter user, workgroup and password. When the problem starts, I can sometimes not even get any response from "Browse Network", though the failure can occur at any one of the steps. Once it has happened, I'm unable to use either Thunar or PcmanFM to access shares until the machine is restarted.

There haven't been any changes in the network, and I have another Arch install on my laptop that has no problems at all.

Without error messages, and given how variable the error is, I have no idea how to track this down. Its one of the few things I've yet to find a way of fixing, and I'd really like some ideas as to how I can track what is going on - I really don't want to have to reinstall just to clear this error....

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Return to Help!