Ubuntu - Missing controls, sidebar, top bar etc... (Solved)

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Ubuntu - Missing controls, sidebar, top bar etc... (Solved)

Postby JohnParr » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:45 pm

This is a follow on to my Ubuntu login loop thread. The problem is now rather different.

I got rid of the login loop by removing the Nvidia driver. I could log in but the GUI had no control buttons, sidebar or top bar. I couldn't find a clear solution via Google so figured an upgrade from 15.10 to 16.04 should fix it. The upgrade from the command line worked fine. It even installed a more recent Nvidia driver but once again I had the login loop problem. I removed the driver and was back with missing controls etc...

I guess this suggests its a configuration problem that's survived the update. I have searched for a solution but nothing has solved the problem.

Once again I would appreciate any suggestions about diagnosing a fix
Last edited by JohnParr on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnParr

Re: Ubuntu - Missing controls, sidebar, top bar etc...

Postby lok1950 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:17 am

Have you tried creating a new user as it seems that the desktop settings may have become corrupted used to have a similar issue with fedora a few years back and creating a new user will load the default settings.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box:Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.2 Win 7 acer S243HL K222HQL
amd XP1800 on a asusA7N8x/ 789Mb ram/ sda 120 Gb ntfs sdb 80 Gb ext3 (fedora 10) gForce 6800 gt 128 Mb
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:40 am

You could also try installing the nouveau drivers, the open source 3D driver for Nvidia cards that doesn't have the numerous compatibility problems that plague their proprietary drivers.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby JohnParr » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. I can now log in to a gui if I use the new user I created.

Code: Select all
lsmod

Tells me that I am using a nouveau module. Synaptic shows a lot of extra packages that are to do with the nouveau driver in addition to those that are installed. However I don't think I need those.

My main issue now is that I am only getting a 640 x 480 display this evening. Earlier in the day I got the choice of that or something a bit better. Tonight only this low resolution.

I am using a DisplayPort to VGA converter cable but this works fine with Windows 10. Not sure where to go next...
JohnParr

Postby nelz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:33 pm

Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see which driver you are actually using. Did you remove any of those nouveau packages, that could cause the loss of resolution choices.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby JohnParr » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks for your suggestion Nelz. I have not added or removed any nouveau components. I have just got what ever came with Ubuntu 16.04.

There is a lot of stuff in the Xorg.0.log file. It has a section that lists a number of auto configured drivers. Nvidia is driver 0, nouveau is driver 1. There are 3 others, mode setting, fbdev and Vesa. There is a warning that Nvidia does not exist and is not loaded. The other 4 appear to load without issue. The nouveau driver appears to be module version 1.0.12 and is dated 8th December 2015 which seems a bit old. There are lines in the log that list the chipsets supported. It does not include my card which is a 1050 Ti (Pascal).

I've had a look at the nouveau website and it would appear Pascal may not be supported yet.

Think I might try the very latest Nvidia driver unless anyone has a better suggestion
JohnParr

Postby JohnParr » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:01 am

Made good progress last night. After reading the impressive README that Nvidia provides for their drivers and following it carefully I successfully installed the 378.13 driver. I now have the full range of screen resolutions available and the machine feels like it belongs to the 21st century again. The only problem I had was finding the right command to stop lightdm. For Ubuntu 16.04 it was

Code: Select all
sudo service lightdm stop

The new user I created now seems to work 100%. My original user still has the missing controls etc... I will now look at fixing the original user again. I'm guessing there is a hidden config file in the home directory which should be fixable now I have a working user.

I would welcome any suggestions about exactly which configuration files to look at.
JohnParr

Re: Ubuntu - Missing controls, sidebar, top bar etc... (Solv

Postby JohnParr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:01 pm

I finally solved this tonight.

After googling the problem several times it was evident that it is not uncommon. There are a lot of different solutions out there and plenty of people who have had the same set of problems solved by each solution. However for me nothing appeared to work until I tried deleting the .cache directory in my home folder. I did this while using the gnome desktop and logged in as my original user. After a reboot and selecting unity all was restored.

I guess it's possible that one or more of the other solutions that I tried were necessary but it was the .cache directory removal that finally did it for me.
JohnParr

Return to Help!