Ubuntu Login Loop

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Ubuntu Login Loop

Postby JohnParr » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:55 am

I recently added an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti to my desktop computer. Previously it had been using the on board intel graphics with no issues. The machine is dual boot Ubuntu 15.10 and Windows 10.

On the Ubuntu side of things, after the new card was installed, I initially had some rather odd screens but after a bit of research learnt how to use the terminal using Ctrl-Alt-F1 and installed a working driver (352 I think). That gives me a perfectly normal system up to the login screen (normal graphics, fonts, colours etc...). However when I try to login the screen clears for a few seconds before returning to the login screen with no errors displayed.

Having done some research it appears this is not an unusual experience but there are many solutions proposed generally without any diagnosis. I'd like to learn through diagnosing the fault but am not sure where to start. I have the impression from something I read that there is a log file that records the log in process but cannot recall its name.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

John
JohnParr

Re: Ubuntu Login Loop

Postby lok1950 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:45 pm

I think the log file you need is at /var/log look for Xorg0.log

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box:Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.2 Win 7 acer S243HL K222HQL
amd XP1800 on a asusA7N8x/ 789Mb ram/ sda 120 Gb ntfs sdb 80 Gb ext3 (fedora 10) gForce 6800 gt 128 Mb
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:31 am

And also @/.xsession-errors.

It's worth creating a new user and trying to login as them, this may smply be a problem of your desktop trying to load a display that is no longer available. To create a user from the command line
Code: Select all
sudo useradd --create-home fred
sudo passwd fred
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby JohnParr » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks lok1950 and nelz for your suggestions.

I found /var/log/Xorg.0.log containing a number of error messages about Nvidia this and that. There was another log file that appeared to contain kernel errors. This was even more unhappy about Nvidia drivers etc... So I think I know where the problem is. :D

I did create the a new user but just got the same loop.

I'm going to work on installing the latest driver which is the only one which lists support for my card.

Any other suggestions would be welcome
JohnParr

Re: Ubuntu Login Loop (New issue)

Postby JohnParr » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:55 am

On reflection I decided it best to try to remove the Nvidia driver, get logged in normally and proceed from there.

The first part was easy and the driver is removed. I can now log in but get only part of the desktop. I get a few internal error messages but I have no side bar, no bar at the top of the screen and Ctrl-Alt-F1 just gives a black screen (although Ctrl-Alt-F7 does go back to the desktop). I can get a terminal by right clicking the desktop but that has no control buttons. The terminal does work though.

Not sure where to go next. Can I upgrade to 16.04 from the terminal and if so would that be a good idea? Is there a way to repair 15.10?
JohnParr

Return to Help!