Ubuntu 16.04 prevents internet access

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Ubuntu 16.04 prevents internet access

Postby iam » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:49 am

I installed ubuntu 16.04 from magazine disc to replace windows vista on my Lenovo think pad because vista no longer supported internet access. Installation was successful but internet access is still denied. How can I recover internet access please?
iam

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 prevents internet access

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:05 am

How do you connect to the internet, via a cable or wireless? If the latter, you need to install the wireless packages from the disk.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Ubuntu includes most wireless drivers by default. If both Ubuntu and Windows both fail to connect to your wireless access point, I would start by looking at the wireless hardware - both ends of the link.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby guy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:52 am

If two very different OS "no longer support internet access", then maybe the problem is with the internet access and not with either OS?
"We don't need no frikkin' aliens, we c'n do this ourselves!" — anon.
guy
LXF regular

Postby dtuxcomp » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:35 pm

If you have a smartphone that supports tethering, you can test your system by connecting it to the PC with a data cable, turn on the data on the phone then turn on usb tethering, this will allow the PC to connect to the internet as if plugged into an ethernet connection. If this works ok you know the problems not with the system software itself.
Also from a terminal try sudo ufw disable to turn the firewall completely off ( make sure you turn it back on afterwards with - sudo ufw enable )

D.
dtuxcomp

Return to Help!