Connecting a camcorder

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Connecting a camcorder

Postby sledgehammer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:07 pm

Hi all,

Sometimes I find myself napping and missing important stuff, but I have just found out that my firewire connected camcorder can no longer talk to my PC due to removal of some important modules, raw1394 and dv1394. I have rolled back to earlier releases of the kernel without success, 3.13, and I'm currently on 4.4.

Does anybody have any work arounds or proper fixes, otherwise I'll by forced to reboot in to OS X :-(

Regards
John
sledgehammer

Re: Connecting a camcorder

Postby nelz » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:12 pm

The dv1394 module was removed from version 2.6.37 of the kernel, some six years ago, having been superceded by firewire-ohci. The raw1394 functionality is now provided by libraw1394 and libiec61883, which you may need to install.

I got this from a web search, it's a long time since I used a Firewire camera.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby sledgehammer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:40 pm

Thanks Nelz,

Web searching didn't do it for me. A few years ago it took effort to get the camera to work and then as time passed every new installation just worked with the camcorder. So 18 months ago a copy of Debian just worked with the camcorder. Then I upgraded and only recently tried connecting the camcorder with no success. However I will now pursue this as dmesg shows the camcorder being connected successfully just no software can see it.

Regards
John
sledgehammer

Postby nelz » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:50 pm

Do you have both of those libraries installed?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby sledgehammer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:38 am

Nelz

Both libraries are installed. It seems I might have an issue with a firewire cable adaptor.

New cable ordered.

John
sledgehammer

Postby sledgehammer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:11 pm

So new cable arrived and still no success.

Rechecked everything and eventually found camcorder setting of A/V out to DV was off. Set to on and now it works. So you see it was a hardware fault!!

It is working with dvgrab but nothing else at the moment so I guess I just need to persist.

Regards
John
sledgehammer

Postby nelz » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:01 pm

Sounds more like a wetware fault to me :lol:
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!