How do I access my Windows 10 partition from Ubuntu?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

How do I access my Windows 10 partition from Ubuntu?

Postby Alex01UK » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:48 pm

I can see the device but not mount it.

Windows 10 Home, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS with Mate Desktop.

aha, tia from Alex.
AMD QUAD A4 5000, AMD Radeon HD 8330, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 17.04 \ 32bit Mint 18.1 MATE \ Windows 10 Home.
--
Www Armani.PM <- Live Streaming o24\oo7\366.
''I'm smarter than the average Bear Boo Boo; Let's get some pikkernick baskets!''
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Re: How do I access my Windows 10 partition from Ubuntu?

Postby Alex01UK » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:49 pm

Also, I'd like to be able to access my Linux partition from Windows. Am looking for a personal recomendation.

aha, tia from Alex.
AMD QUAD A4 5000, AMD Radeon HD 8330, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 17.04 \ 32bit Mint 18.1 MATE \ Windows 10 Home.
--
''I'm smarter than the average Bear Boo Boo; Let's get some pikkernick baskets!''
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:31 am

For 1) You need NTFS support installed in Linux
For 2) You need an EXTFS driver (if you are using EXTFS) installed in Windows.

However the different permission structures in Windows and Linux can cause issues when copying files across or when accessing them directly from a different OS.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:29 pm

You need to make sure that Fast Startup is disabled in Windows or you could face some unpleasantness the next time you load it up (I've only had this happen once, was totally recoverable, but has made me a but shy of mounting my Windows NTFS disk in Linux, considering I didn't go anywhere I thought might cause a problem). It can be found under "Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Settings -> System Settings (Shutdown Settings)" MS recommend you turn it on, but MS recommend SecureBoot as well, soo... ;)

I've never had any other unpleasantness with NTFS reading/writing from inside Linux, even as far back as kernel 3.2 (Ubuntu 12.04 timeframe) except that you will need to check when writing to NTFS that filenames are valid. Linux will happily write filenames which NTFS can't cope with (I'm thinking anything with a colon - screenshots - being the most common) and while Linux can write and read it, Windows can't. Windows also can't delete them, which if you're not expecting it can be a bit of a head-scratcher. :lol:

I've never had much success with accessing Linux partitions in Windows (with the exception of ext2, back in the day when I used it) as something always seems to go slightly awry. End result; I usually run three disks in any dual-boot system now: a Windows SSD (Windows boot loader), a Linux SSD (GRUB, pointing at unaltered Windows bootloader) and a 'data' disk (usually NTFS formatted) with the data disk being the only one that both OSes access.
Paradigm Shifter

Postby Alex01UK » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:08 pm

#sorTeD. i'VE got eUfI issues. When I boot up I have to tap f12 continious to get the boot menu to get into Ubuntu.
When you shut down Windows 10, it doesn't shut down. It Hybernates. So....................

Unplug The AC connector. Caine your battery until it switches off.
Plug AC Conector in, and boot into Windows 10.
Wait until it has finished booting up and everything.
Then Press Power Button {Bottom Left Hand Corner - Click it with Mouse. It is called Power Icon know, and choose restart.}
When you click Restart, it doesn't Hybernate, so TAP F12 like Mad until you get The Menu.
Choose Ubuntu.

And it is all fixed. Reads \ Writes both ways....
You can't run Microsoft Edge though. Needs Windows 10.
Edge is basically IE12.

hth, from Alex & Amy & Buxton, Le Chat Bleur.
--
PS Check the knew website. Streaming 24\oo7\366
http://Www.Armani.PM
tB.xx
--
Currently: Beta Testing 64bit Unicorn Studio 16.1o MATE Desquetop.
--
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:19 pm

Paradigm Shifter wrote:You need to make sure that Fast Startup is disabled in Windows or you could face some unpleasantness the next time you load it up (I've only had this happen once, was totally recoverable, but has made me a but shy of mounting my Windows NTFS disk in Linux, considering I didn't go anywhere I thought might cause a problem). It can be found under "Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Settings -> System Settings (Shutdown Settings)" MS recommend you turn it on, but MS recommend SecureBoot as well, soo... ;)

I've never had any other unpleasantness with NTFS reading/writing from inside Linux, even as far back as kernel 3.2 (Ubuntu 12.04 timeframe) except that you will need to check when writing to NTFS that filenames are valid. Linux will happily write filenames which NTFS can't cope with (I'm thinking anything with a colon - screenshots - being the most common) and while Linux can write and read it, Windows can't. Windows also can't delete them, which if you're not expecting it can be a bit of a head-scratcher. :lol:

I've never had much success with accessing Linux partitions in Windows (with the exception of ext2, back in the day when I used it) as something always seems to go slightly awry. End result; I usually run three disks in any dual-boot system now: a Windows SSD (Windows boot loader), a Linux SSD (GRUB, pointing at unaltered Windows bootloader) and a 'data' disk (usually NTFS formatted) with the data disk being the only one that both OSes access.

--
The Intrepid Ipex? Or summat? 8.10 My first Ubuntu Studio. Bought THE LXF SPecIAL, but somebody stoled it, after 9.o4 Came Out. The Jauntie Jackalope. My first \ fave 64 bit Ubuntu Studio.... Somebody Stoled My Windows XP PRO Disk. Paid £90 for that, so I ran Fedora Core 10 for 6 months. loved it, but couldn;t werk out how to get it to play dVdS or cds or mp3s, so I ducked it off..............
--
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:29 pm

In Windows, go into adminstrator shell and run

Code: Select all
powercfg /h off

Then shutdown means shutdown.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Alex01UK » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:31 pm

QUOTED: I've never had any other unpleasantness with NTFS reading/writing from inside Linux, even as far back as kernel 3.2 (Ubuntu 12.04 timeframe) except that you will need to check when writing to NTFS that filenames are valid. Linux will happily write filenames which NTFS can't cope with (I'm thinking anything with a colon - screenshots - being the most common) and while Linux can write and read it, Windows can't. Windows also can't delete them, which if you're not expecting it can be a bit of a head-scratcher. :lol:

Mine has a filter on the filename when writing. It filters out all unvalid filenames when writing to the Windows Hd.
Unicorn Studio 16.1o MATE Desquetop, with a few Custom Modifications. Out on Halloween I think. Amy'z {Mrs. Alex, My Better Half.} Birthday. She's gonna be 4o! 26 on Facebook.... pka #ZULUBUNTU 4:2o LTS ;) 8) %)
We've hired a club on the Sat Night, 1oo people van VIP Invite Only live Streaming on the site, as per always, and you're all invited.

Even Our Porl from Wigan! Bought my first Proper Sportscar off our Porl when I was 25. Fish Supper for Tea tonight methinkz. ;) 8) %)
tB.xx
--
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:32 pm

nelz wrote:In Windows, go into adminstrator shell and run

powercfg /h off

Cheers Nelz.
--
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:21 pm

nelz wrote:In Windows, go into adminstrator shell and run

powercfg /h off

Niley, how do I open a root shell on Windows 10 Home #JunkAgain. Am @ Werk....
--
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:22 pm

#Quickly #BAtteryNearlyDiED 7%
--
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:23 pm

aM @ wERK.
--
tB.xx
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Return to Help!