bittorrent

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Loose_Byte » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:34 am

Thanks for all the useful comments. BT seems to be a contentious issue. LXF cover discs are a very good source but do not include all distros. My experience of downloading from dial-up is that it runs at 6MB per hour on average and from what Rhakios says I'm stuck with that, BT or no BT.
Loose_Byte

Postby overflow » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:22 pm

RD wrote:Pears = ppl connecting to seeds downloading the file

You mean peers (equal) not pear (soft, juicy fruit).

And your attitude is a bit naff, too.
overflow
overflow
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:26 pm

Of course you are. Your dialup link carries 6MB/hour, whether that is being delivered by BitTorrent, FTP, HTTP or Dialup Carrier Pigeon Protocol.

If you want better performance, you need a bigger pipe, as so much of my email tells me :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby RD » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:57 pm

overflow wrote:
RD wrote:Pears = ppl connecting to seeds downloading the file

You mean peers (equal) not pear (soft, juicy fruit).

And your attitude is a bit naff, too.

no i meant what i said, who cares about attitude i said sorry
RD
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:38 pm

My first post was an attempt to answer the OP's question about whether bittorrent would enable him to download distros any faster, I believe I answered that.
I have read several items about bittorrent in the past (including the excellent one in LXF ;) ) and as a club member have used it to download several versions of Mandrake (now Mandriva) without trouble. I regard it as an excellent way of distributing software without imposing an excessively expensive overhead on the distributor.
If RD got the impression that I have anything against bittorrent, then he was mistaken.
As for attitude: I did read your post RD, you didn't address the OP's problem, while several others have tried to do so.

Loose_Byte wrote:My experience of downloading from dial-up is that it runs at 6MB per hour on average

That's pretty bad, you must be on a rural line. When I had dial-up I used to get about 1MB every 4 minutes (about 15MB per hour) when things were going well, and as I worked out that it would take about 2 days of continous downloading to get a 650MB iso (if the connection stayed up that long), I rapidly gave up on the idea. As others have mentioned, if LXF can't supply all your distro needs then cheeplinux are pretty good, or you could always depend on the kindness of strangers ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:56 am

One advantage of BitTorrent is that it doesn't matter if you drop and restart the connection. The same is true if you download with something like wget or KGet of course.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Loose_Byte » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:06 pm

I found the article on BT in LXF 48 Xmas 2003 p,56 if anyone else is interested. It was written by the CD editor (Nelz?) so he would say it was excellent wouldn't he?. But imho it really is EXCELLENT.
Loose_Byte

Postby fingers99 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:18 pm

nelz wrote:RPMs and debs are compressed too. Mandrake 10.1 had over 8GB on its three CDs.

But how much of it is worth having ;-)

Of course, you're literally correct, but, to be honest, there's very little I find missing from a Knoppix or Kanotix CD. And then, it's easier to apt-get what you want than spend -- what, a week or so -- downloading 3 isos of stuff you'll never want or need.
fingers99
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:25 am

Disadvantage of Bittorrent and other P2P systems, Plus.net new systems halves your bandwidth the second their routers see you using that protocol. I know of several other ISPs that will follow this lead soon.
Rhakios suggested Cheeplinux. I'd say LinuxISO.co.uk is cheaper and better (but I would considering I run it).
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:42 am

A-Wing wrote:Rhakios suggested Cheeplinux. I'd say LinuxISO.co.uk is cheaper and better (but I would considering I run it).

Well, not exactly, I merely confirmed an earlier poster's recommendation. I have used them and found their service perfectly adequate. They also do domed case badges, which I have to restrain myself from buying (why would I need more of them :?: :lol: )

It looks like you have a good selection there and a nicely laid out site. If I were still in the business of trying out everything I could get my hands on I might grab a handfull to save all that downloading time.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Q15

Postby A-Wing » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:16 am

Rhakios wrote:
A-Wing wrote:Rhakios suggested Cheeplinux. I'd say LinuxISO.co.uk is cheaper and better (but I would considering I run it).

Well, not exactly, I merely confirmed an earlier poster's recommendation. I have used them and found their service perfectly adequate. They also do domed case badges, which I have to restrain myself from buying (why would I need more of them :?: :lol: )

I am branching out into mercandise shortly, trying a few things out right now. Couldn't afford to before but thanks to an advertising deal with distrowatch it is something I can work on.

It looks like you have a good selection there and a nicely laid out site. If I were still in the business of trying out everything I could get my hands on I might grab a handfull to save all that downloading time.

There are many more still to add, I currently have a selection of 70-80 in there, I'm currently aiming for around 150 (although it may be hard as my old SGI server only has 0.5TB of storage).
I can't take the full credit for the site, its mambo-phpshop. Although I have written a few hundred lines of PHP code improvements to it over the last few months, about half of which has been submitted back into phpshop
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:08 pm

fingers99 wrote:
nelz wrote:RPMs and debs are compressed too. Mandrake 10.1 had over 8GB on its three CDs.

But how much of it is worth having ;-)

The choice :) Something single disc distros are rather short on.
nelz
Site admin

Postby A-Wing » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:24 pm

I dunno, knoppix has a lot of choice for one disc. As do a lot of live cds that use a compressed loop fs.

"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "I can't configure Slackware".

More like don't have time to configure Slackware. I use both slack and Ubuntu, Ubuntu on my desktops as I need them running without too much messing (and without KDE). Wouldn't use Ubuntu for a server though, that is a job for Slack (or Fedora, or Debian, or ...).
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:55 pm

A-Wing wrote:

I dunno, knoppix has a lot of choice for one disc. As do a lot of live cds that use a compressed loop fs.

For one disc, yes there is a decent choice, But claiming that a one disc distro gives as much as a 3 disc one is not true. How many live CDs give a choice of KDE or GNOME for instance?

A cloop fs doesn't magically give more compression than RPMs and Debs use.
nelz
Site admin

Postby A-Wing » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:02 pm

cloop doesn't give more compression as it uses the same compression libraries, but in theory enough to run KDE, Gnome and several major apps.
Many people use broadband in this country now anyway so it is quite feasible to install something like Ubuntu and apt-get/synaptic any extras you want (or get someone to download the debs/rpms and burn on a disc for you).
A-Wing
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Help!