bittorrent

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

bittorrent

Postby Loose_Byte » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:53 pm

I am using a dial-up connection which is too slow for downloading distro ISO files. So I would be glad if someone could let me know how much faster I would be able to download a distro if I used BITTORRENT to speed things up.
Loose_Byte

RE: bittorrent

Postby Rhakios » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:15 pm

Simple answer, bittorrent will not enable you to download large distro iso files on a dial-up connection. The purpose of bittorrent is to spread the load out over a group of peers so that no single server (as in the case of ftp) has to take the entire burden of so many downloads. That is why it can sometimes be quicker, but it does not speed up a slow client connection.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: bittorrent

Postby RD » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:46 pm

Rhakios

>> Simple answer, bittorrent will not enable you to download large distro iso files on a dial-up connection

SHUT UP!! <--- i say that because ive seen and done it my self before i got BB

you can download any thing and i mean any thing from BT if you know where to look your downloads will only be limited to seeds, pears and your connection.
RD
LXF regular

Postby wiz » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:18 pm

Seeds ?, pears ?

I've just gone looking for an explanation and found a very interesting article on pear seed germination but what's that got to do with computers ?
wiz
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:51 pm

RD is talking rubbish, Bittorrent will not get you a 650MB ISO any faster than a good ftp connection, if you are limited to 56K, then that's all you'll get bittorrent or no bittorrent. FULL STOP.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby fingers99 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:00 pm

I am using a dial-up connection which is too slow for downloading distro ISO files.

Well, it isn't really: I do it fairly often. Three ways to speed things up would be:

To download DSL -- it's very small -- and use apt-get to stick on anything else you want.

To download the net install of Debian -- it's pretty small, too.

To download Kanotix: it's 700Mb or so and will give you as much as 3 "normal" CDs.

All Debian, all with apt-get, all using the regular Debian repositories.
fingers99
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:31 pm

Find a friend locally with broadband and ask them to download for you, Llandod & Builth have bb so there must be someone you know not far away ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby nelz » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:44 pm

fingers99 wrote:To download Kanotix: it's 700Mb or so and will give you as much as 3 "normal" CDs.

How do you work that out? Kanotix, and other full-CD Knoppix derivatives, compress around 2GB of data one CD, so how much do you think other distros compress onto 3 CDs?

RPMs and debs are compressed too. Mandrake 10.1 had over 8GB on its three CDs.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Flea » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:44 am

For chrissakes! go to cheeplinux if downloading is so bloody hasslesome. Or buy a Linux Format mag, you know, the magazine for the forum you are in right now!? They have distros most months on the cover disks!

Dave.
Flea
LXF regular

Postby RD » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:31 am

Rhakios wrote:RD is talking rubbish, Bittorrent will not get you a 650MB ISO any faster than a good ftp connection, if you are limited to 56K, then that's all you'll get bittorrent or no bittorrent. FULL STOP.

No one said faster !!! W***** i said it is still limited to seeds pears and your connection speed

Seeds = how many ppl have a complete copy of the file beeing distributited also uploading to other ppl

Pears = ppl connecting to seeds downloading the file

Thats the easiest way to explaine unless you google BT home page for a more detailed explanation
RD
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:43 am

There's no need for that attitude RD, behave yourself.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby RD » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:47 am

Sorry Nelz your right!, Rhakios please re-read the first post i made, take a look here this will tell you every thing you need to know about the BT protcol http://www.bittorrent.com/introduction.html
RD
LXF regular

Postby RD » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:50 am

Here too http://www.bittorrent.com/documentation.html there is enough info there for you to truly understand BT enjoy
RD
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:55 am

It doesn't matter how many sources (seeds) there are or loadings on sources (pears) - dialup is limited to 56 kbps download max. Effective connection speeds vary between 9.6 kbps to 53 kbps depending on line condition, hardware on your phone line and distance to the exchange. It takes 2174.824296296296296304717543534934520721 minutes to down load 700 MB at an average of 45 kbps - over 36 hours of download time. Most dialup ISPs have hard disconnects well within this time, this may make Bit Torrent a viable choice as it will resume the download from multiple sources.

Buy Linux Format - it's cheaper and less stressful than trying to download distros over dialup.
ollie

Postby nelz » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:59 am

I think you need to re-read Rhakios' first post. He didn't say downloading large ISOs was impossible, he said that BT didn't enable it. You can download large files over BT, but no faster than you can with FTP/HTTP. BT would be slower over dialup because of the load cause by the uploads.

I'm sure Rhakios already understands BT, having read the excellent What on Earth on the topic published in LXF last year :)
nelz
Site admin

Next

Return to Help!