Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KDE or Gnome #2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

KDE or Gnome
KDE
38%
 38%  [ 12 ]
Gnome
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
Something else
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 31

marco.auer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

I really love Gnome, especially the new version 2.10. I also tried KDE for a couple of weeks, but it don't like it. It is very confusing when opening the start menu, because all application names start with a 'K'. This is not easy to read at all.

There are a few nice programs, like k3b - but KDE can never beat Gnome (for me).
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

You're right about the K thing. it's so confusing. Give me the simplicity of name like gedit, gnumeric, gnucash and gaim any day Laughing
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

get going gnelz gI ghadn't gnoticed gthat :lol Very Happy
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

Tux was brought to you today by the letters 'K' and 'G' and the numbers '6' and '9'.
MachuMan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

Good gag A-Wing Smile

I notice alot of people have gone for 'other' in the poll, So whats the best of the rest then dudes?
I just tried Enligtenment 15 and didnt think much of it. Though to be fair i have spent ages making my gnome desktop look awesome
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

Machu: Try E17. It'll be superb _When_ complete.
MachuMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

yeah i looked at some screen shots and E17 does look good, much better than the dodgy uk boy band of the same name. I hope that doesnt put people off! though 'stay now' wasnt to bad if i remember?
Anyway, thank you erin, fellow 'south of the riverer'
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

Try ELive, a live distribution based on Knoppix with E17 as the default WM. I had a try of it when I put it on my shop, very nice, but I didn't fancy the feel of it myself.
sandyman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

MachuMan wrote:
Good gag A-Wing Smile

I notice alot of people have gone for 'other' in the poll, So whats the best of the rest then dudes?

Totally OT here but I use OS X on my desktop and CLI/Web on my *nix boxes. If I had to choose it would be Gnome, but please, please get something better than Nautilus as a file manager.
MachuMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

sandyman wrote:

If I had to choose it would be Gnome, but please, please get something better than Nautilus as a file manager.

I dont really mind nautilus, once you set it to browse as default its fine. Whats so bad about it? you ask it to show you the contents of a folder it shows you the contants. Job done
jer1ch0
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

Ohh, Machuman, please please lose your avatar.
MachuMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

whats wrong with it? was it to big?
towy71

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

In the place where you linked the avatar it states: "its width can be no greater than 60 pixels, the height no greater than 60 pixels, and the file size no more than 6 KB."
This is obviously bigger than 60x60

Dick
sandyman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

[/quote]I dont really mind nautilus, once you set it to browse as default its fine. Whats so bad about it? you ask it to show you the contents of a folder it shows you the contants. Job done[/quote]
Yup thats about it. Rather primitive and ugly. Sorry I just don't like it. We all have our own preferences.
MachuMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

ah okay i have changed it now
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: