Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KDE or Gnome #2
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

KDE or Gnome
KDE
38%
 38%  [ 12 ]
Gnome
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
Something else
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 31

jer1ch0
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

Just because the last poll closed early and the outcome was unclear.
Me - Gnome. As I said, Gnome allowes me to get straight to work and KDE requires serious modification and uninstalling of apps.
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

Yeah, like I said in the last poll, I have recently turned judas on KDE Embarassed All for Gnome now!
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

I was going off KDE but after getting 3.4 I like all the little quirks Very Happy

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

I've always found KDE to work fine straight out of the box. The choice of configuration is a bonus for me, I hate having to use a program the way someone else wants me to.
ollie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

I agree with linuxgirlie and nelz - KDE has always just worked out of the box, and being able to better customise makes it even easier. Gnome, even with the menu bar and task bar similarity to OS X, just seems to be harder to get to applications.
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

To quote Blackadder, I've poo-pood because otherwise the poo-poo will poo-poo and come back to poo-poo you all over again!

Erin
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

Easy: KDE has Konqueror, Gnome has Nautilus. No contest. KDE wins.

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
towy71

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

I think this is basically irrelevant, you use whatever desktop you want, and whether you use "x" or "y" is a personal choice. Any poll or other method of showing who uses what is more devisive and counter to the whole point of OSS, which is choice, diversity and freedom.
Dick
(I voted Gnome Laughing)
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

jer1ch0
>>
Just because the last poll closed early and the outcome was unclear.
Me - Gnome. As I said, Gnome allowes me to get straight to work and KDE requires serious modification and uninstalling of apps.
>>

Ballmer would say windows is better Rolling Eyes

>>
the outcome was unclear ...
>>

Seems clear enough, verious people have various subjective opinions ... nothing new, but where is the actual substance... it's still not in alpha order too... A kde fan could say just what you said, one person thinks it works straight out of the box, another thinks it needs lots of configuring. They both disallow any changes to their basic structure ... in that you can only configure as long as you don't obscure the branding -=- can you change those suspicously looking 3 MS styled buttons in the top right of a kde menu bar ... like, move em to the left ? ... is there a point ? Smile

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

I use Tekwm!

http://www.aster.uklinux.net/tekwm.gif

(Yes, I hacked a window manager that was last updated in 1989 to work with modern Unixes and X. Oh dear.)

M
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

jjmac wrote:
They both disallow any changes to their basic structure ... in that you can only configure as long as you don't obscure the branding -=- can you change those suspicously looking 3 MS styled buttons in the top right of a kde menu bar ... like, move em to the left ? ... is there a point ? Smile

That's simply not true, you can change them as much as you like. As for the buttons, you are only looking at the default theme and positions, even a cursory glance at the options (right-click on the windows title bar) will show they can be moved. I always move the close button to the left end of the title bar, because that's where I'm used to finding it and I don't see why I should change to suit a damned machine Smile
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

They can be changed !, hmmmmmm, good (grin). Must admit i didn't try the right-click test. That is refreshing ... i will have to look again i think ... if so then i will be changing my opion (hehe) Weeeell, maybe (grin). But as you say, then it must be ... I don't understand the last bit though. How would the machine come into it Smile ... no ... don't tell me (sratch_head.png) ... it's to late at night Very Happy

cheers,

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
RD
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

Must admit that when i tryed ubuntu 4.10 i started to like Gnome how ever ive always been a KDE fan Very Happy
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

I've even seen a recent project to make KDE look like gnome. As towy71 said it is personal preferance. I tend to find that office users run Gnome and home users run KDE. I personally run Gnome although I do run k3b for burning discs for LinuxISO.
Windows converts might want to look at something like Famelix if they prefer the redmond style GUI.
Birdman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2 Reply with quote

The great thing about the gnome and kde projects for me are the amazing array of apps that are developed. I used to use kde on my old box but found it too heavy for a PII 333 so I gave xfce a try. I now have an Athlon64 3000 and still use xfce - light, fast and I can launch all of my favourite gnome and kde apps without any problems. The best of both worlds Very Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: