Suggestion: Make forum require registration

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Suggestion: Make forum require registration

Postby -Dave- » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:13 pm

My suggestion is to make the forum only viewable to registered users who are logged in. This would encourage more people to register, and post because they've already got an account.

At any given time there's about 20+ guests viewing and only 1 or 2 registered users. A bit sucky IMO :P
With thanks Kenco, my coding nightmares are over!
-Dave-

RE: Suggestion: Make forum require registration

Postby lok1950 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:33 pm

What turn us into an exclusive club and turn away people looking for solutions and shyer than us lot.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

RE: Suggestion: Make forum require registration

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:14 am

On any given day, anything from three to thirty people become members of the forum. Most of them never post. :(
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: Suggestion: Make forum require registration

Postby ollie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:52 am

Rhakios wrote:On any given day, anything from three to thirty people become members of the forum. Most of them never post. :(

Hopefully that's because they find the solutions they are looking for!

However, many new users feel very intimidated about posting what could be a viewed as a silly question. Many Linux forums, including this one on occasions (and I'm not excluding myself from this) get RTFM answers, which would be OK if the manuals were well written and explained the exact problem they had encountered.

As a suggestion would a "Welcome to LXF Forums" section where new members are encouraged to share a bit about their history and personal experiences. This could be used by "old" members, who could post a brief story about themselves. There was one thread asking how people got started with Linux that ran for sometime.
ollie

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:11 am

ollie wrote:There was one thread asking how people got started with Linux that ran for sometime.

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php? ... pic&t=7568 :D
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:30 am

Dutch_Master wrote:
ollie wrote:There was one thread asking how people got started with Linux that ran for sometime.

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php? ... pic&t=7568 :D

Thanks, I was being lazy and hoping that people would use the forum search feature to "get into the forums a bit more" :wink:
ollie

RE: Re: RE: Suggestion: Make forum require registration

Postby MartyBartfast » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:32 am

Disagree, I think we want to welcome people who stumble across the forums while googling for a solution to their problem who are then free to browse without comitting to registering.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby pwbrum61 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:59 am

I agree with Marty. To enforce registration would make us seem elitist. We all have to learn somewhere and the fact that anyone can sign up and post this forum makes it a useful resource for those new to Linux - the more times questions are asked about a particular topic, or the more posts are made suggesting solutions to a problem, the greater the likelihood someone searching Google for an answer to their problem will hit upon this site.

We want to encourage people to join and contribute freely - after all, freedom is what we're all about isn't it?
Where's the Kaboom? There's supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom! :D

pwbrum61
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:30 am

I should have said more clearly that I don't think compulsory registration for browsing the forums should be required, only if you want to post questions or solutions. My suggestion was for after people had decided to become members.
ollie

Re: RE: Re: RE: Suggestion: Make forum require registration

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:40 pm

ollie wrote:I should have said more clearly that I don't think compulsory registration for browsing the forums should be required, only if you want to post questions or solutions.

Which is already the case. Even the spammers have to register :roll: and if they prove a little persistant and ignore having their posts deleted, Mike has to disable their accounts. Making everyone register, even to browse the forums, would not stop this.

I agree with those who think that requiring resgistration just to browse the forums would be a very negative move, and I don't see it happening. LXF very likely want to encourage potential readers and making the forums harder to access would be seen as unfriendly, reflecting negatively on the magazine.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Suggestion: Make forum require registrat

Postby -Dave- » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:13 am

Yeah I suppose you're all right to be honest, never really thought of it that way.
-Dave-

Postby -Dave- » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:15 am

pwbrum61 wrote:We want to encourage people to join and contribute freely - after all, freedom is what we're all about isn't it?

Freedom should have limits.

Just kidding, believe in Jesus!

-Dave-

Postby mrlocal » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:23 am

Rhakios has it in a nutshell. I set up Blam and kept an eye on the postings for some time before registering. Since then I have not posted much but the option is easily accessed now if I feel the urge. (to post, I hasten to add).
I like the way things are done and the control exercised on the LXF forum.
mrlocal

Postby pwbrum61 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:03 am

-Dave- wrote:Freedom should have limits.

Just kidding, believe in Jesus!

Ah but freedom with limits isn't freedom. As for believeing in the big J, no thanks. I'm a convert to the FSM (All Hail to His Noodliness)
Where's the Kaboom? There's supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom! :D

pwbrum61
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:42 am

As Rhakios says, plenty of people register but don't post. And the forums are a good source of Linux info, so blocking that from un-registered users would be bad for the community. So that's not going to happen :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Next

Return to This Website