How to start??????

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

How to start??????

Postby The_Blue_Wizard » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:44 pm

OK, i'm new to linux and coding. Where should i start?? Are there any tutorials online for the basics etc. Or any good books to get. I would prefer to start with C++ . But which are the main coding languages?

Thanks in advance. :)
The_Blue_Wizard

RE: How to start??????

Postby RD » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:54 pm

Well i started out with Visual Basic (you can get real basic) then move onto c etc etc, yes use google :D
RD
LXF regular

RE: How to start??????

Postby alloydog » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:09 pm

Well, there's:
C++ Resourses network: and,
Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days
Which should get you going.

In my experience, it seems C++ is proably the most widely used. Also, Java is pretty strong. Basic is still used to soem degree as well
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby wiz » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:00 pm

If you really want to get going quickly, try Kdevelop & the Qt library.

Qt really tops the list for me * because of the excellent documentation and example programmes that come with it, and of course the excellent series of articles in Lxf by Jono Bacon.

I think one specific example such as the Lxf one is going to be a lot more use than any number of teach yourself books that try to be platform & toolkit independent.

* Other toolkits are available :)
wiz
LXF regular

Re: RE: How to start??????

Postby RD » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:13 pm

alloydog wrote:Basic is still used to soem degree as well

I said Baisc because i dont know his/her level (in terms of how quick picks things up :D). Basic is IMO a really good place to start the phrase "Learn to crawl before you learn to walk, then learn to run" comes to mind :D and basic is used in a lot of apps still never mind some :D
RD
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: How to start??????

Postby A-Wing » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:28 pm

PHP is a good one to learn if you want to step up to C. It uses a similar syntax, in fact in some cases only a few minor modifications are required to convert small PHP scripts to C.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby wiz » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:30 pm

I don't know a lot about Basic. I tried QBasic (and BBC basic about the time the earth was created) years ago and got nowhere with it. It wasn't until I used Pascal that I managed to get a better understanding of how things work.

Basic may do it for you so do a google search on Gambas and try it.
wiz
LXF regular

Postby The_Blue_Wizard » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:25 am

Well i think i'm actually gonna go with java 2. Since my Dad has experience with it and a tonne of books. The first one i'm gonna do is Java 2 from scratch, which teaches me how to build a stock market analyzer and tracker.

Also when i said was completely new, that wasn't quite true. I have a basic understanding of HTML and when i was 7 i had a go at dark basic, i could create a game where you could move a box around :D . But now i'm 13 and i'm feeling lucky. :D

By the way i'm a boy :)
The_Blue_Wizard

Postby jjmac » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:38 am

Just try doing some of the examples that come with various documentations, and small tests in general. C would be the most common language found in Gnu Linux environments. But if you bypass C and go for C++ you will really be doing just a better C. One doesn't have to get into all of the more extensive C++ aspects to do C++. Try things like ...

Code: Select all
#include <stdio.h>

char * format = "%s",
char *hello = "Hello World...\n";

main()
{
  printf ( format, hello );
}

then change it to ...

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
  printf("Simple c test...");

}

then to ...

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
 cout << "Simple c test..." << endl;

}

Just for the contrasts. If you compile as plus, you will get the extra facilities that come with it, such as a more flexible syntax. One flexability involves not having to supply a "return" for main() And not having to declare everything first before you start to implement. Along with greater scoping allowances. That sounds a bit like a sales pitch in a way :), sorry about that, Didn't mean it to (grin)

But I have found ...

http://www.mindview.net/Books/

to be very helpfull, by a Mr Bruce Eckel, it's been a while, but you should be able to find some html sets (tar.gz) to download from there. On both C++ and Java, with excellent included examples.

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/

Will take you to Bjarne Stroustrup's homepage... the horses mouth, so to speak.

Also, running small tests based on things found in the manual pages can also be good practice.

If you have a hobby interest, or some itch, as it is sometimes refered to ... that can be a good source of purpose, for directing small personal projects toward. Something to supply motivation.

What to do first ... i agree with Mr Stroustrup, a person will learn as they do. The mistake often made is trying to understand why it works to early, in every complexed detail but just to get discouraged by a lack of results by cumbersome systems. Something along the lines of the saying "Keep It Simple" is usually best. C++ has the ease and the libraries that can provide those results, by just using it as a better C rather than trying to get into the more extensive aspects. and using the library facilities rather than trying to do everything from scratch. Stroustrup also warns against trying to make it to optimised or perfect to early. Once you have a program working, that becomes the main thing. With C++/C you can readily go back over it and make it more refined/terse. Ok, VB will produce results too, especially in a RAD environment ... but it will also encourage bad habbits due to its lazy and somewhat over compensating nature. I took a lot of initial benifit out of Borlands C++Builder range of IDEs in windows myself, and similar Java environments. All freebes from PCPlus. Windows yes, but still they had lots of examples to exp with, and so were very good. For online tutorials i would check into google for that, but Mr Eckels does have an excellent teaching style with out sacrificing it by being over simplified.

edit: *hello --> char "hello :roll:

jm
Last edited by jjmac on Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby firefox » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:41 pm

jjmac wrote:But if you bypass C and go for C++ you will really be doing just a better C.

why not bypass C++ too and go straight to Java? :wink:
firefox

Postby A-Wing » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:45 pm

firefox wrote:why not bypass C++ too and go straight to Java? :wink:

Isn't that like saying why not bypass an italian resturant and go straight to MacDonnalds? ;)
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:57 pm

A-Wing wrote:
firefox wrote:why not bypass C++ too and go straight to Java? :wink:

Isn't that like saying why not bypass an italian resturant and go straight to MacDonnalds? ;)

... having originally bypassed the best curry house in town! :lol:
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby RD » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:06 pm

java sucks IMO there are too many versions of the damn thing just move right on to c
RD
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:38 pm

Java is also a part interpreted language and is therefore slower and consumes more resources.
The compiled form is designed to work on all platforms, in practice I find it hardly works on any.
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:52 am

A-Wing wrote:
>>
Isn't that like saying why not bypass an italian resturant and go straight to MacDonnalds? :wink:
>>

rotfl hehehehe

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Next

Return to Programming