Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Borat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ? Reply with quote

Can someone else confirm that issues 113 -> in the Full PDF Issues, are either incomplete or corrupted? Or is it just me?

I couldn't see this posted anywhere in this forum.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: RE: Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ? Reply with quote

It's probably you Wink This is a ZIP file, so unpack it first. Or are you refering to individual articles?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: RE: Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ? Reply with quote

Zip file works fine for me -- but as DM says, are you talking about a specific PDF?

M
Borat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ? Reply with quote

I have just downloaded Issue 115 again. After unzipping I opened some pages at random. Answers and Hotpicks for example. There is no "text" showing... just some screenshots and some titles in red. I'll try to post a screenie.

guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: RE: Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ? Reply with quote

Could it be a problem with missing fonts: not on Borat's system, and not embedded in the PDF either?

Or possibly the font is being rendered white for some reason?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: RE: Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've tested the 115 HotPicks from the full download on:

- Xpdf (Linux)
- Evince (Linux)
- KPDF (Linux)
- Preview (Mac)
- Adobe Reader (Mac)

It displays fine in those. What PDF reader are you using?

M
Borat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ? Reply with quote

Document Viewer.
Using poppler 0.8.7 (cairo)

The normal reader for Linux Mint . I believe it is evince.

This only happens with issues 113 onward. The others look fine.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: RE: Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ? Reply with quote

Might be a bug with that version of libpoppler. Anyone else had the same problem?

M
towy71

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: RE: Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ? Reply with quote

I've just downloaded 115 and all the pdf's I tested work with Evince, xpdf, kghostview and KPDF <shrug> Wink
ollie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: RE: Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ? Reply with quote

OK, I just tried 116 (full) and extracted the individual PDFs, then the individual PDFs and get no text in Acrobat Reader or Document Viewer on Ubuntu 8.10 x64. Only the "full" magazine is identified as a zip file. The individual files have .pdf extensions so they should work with both of these applications. I've had no problems with any other PDFs.before "25 killer apps" in LXF110. The other PDFs in 110 (well a random sample anyway) all appear OK.

Strange things have happened since "25 killer apps"!
Scifly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ? Reply with quote

I tried with 116 and I also have this problem with evince using libpoppler 0.8.7 on Ubuntu 8.10. The files appear OK using Acrobat Reader though. Seems to be a problem with libpoppler then. Odd that older issues appear OK though. Confused
towy71

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ? Reply with quote

well they all work fine on gutsy Rolling Eyes don't ask Confused
Borat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ? Reply with quote

As I posted in another thread, Adobe Reader works ok but evince and xpf do not. Did something change in the way the mag is "pdf"-ed from issue 113 onwards?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: RE: Corrupted PDFs of Full issues ? Reply with quote

Update: this has also been discussed in this thread. It's definitely a bug in certain versions of libpoppler -- but with newer versions (eg in Ubuntu 9.04) it's fixed and the PDFs render as they should.

M
mgt6910

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: No text visible in zipfile of LXF118 Reply with quote

I have not received LXF118 by post, so I have dowloaded the zipfile, and I also have no text displayed.

I'm using Fedora 10 and the PDFs open in Document Viewer 2.24.2.

All suggestions welcome (I've confirmed that it displays OK in W**do*s).
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: