Triple booting WinXP, Mandriva and FC4

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Triple booting WinXP, Mandriva and FC4

Postby Marrea » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:50 am

Hi

I have recently installed Mandriva 2005 LE as a dual boot alongside Windows XP and would now like to try installing FC4 as well and triple boot. I'm not too sure how I would go about this, so very grateful for any advice.

I have Grub on the MBR, so would it just be a matter of adding a chainloading entry for FC4 to Mandriva's /boot/grub/menu.lst? Or is it more complicated than that?

Can the two Linux distributions share a single swap partition or do they need to have one each?
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Triple booting WinXP, Mandriva and FC4

Postby towy71 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:01 am

Marrea
this has been mentioned in more than one thread here:
http://tinyurl.com/7cope
http://tinyurl.com/793dz

in both I suggest going to Motub's excellent page.

and yes it is as simple as editing /boot/grub/menu.lst
and yes one swap is fine for both distros, cos only one will be using it at any one time
HTH
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Marrea » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:21 pm

towy71

Ah, I was being lazy and hoping to avoid struggling through motub's treatise - particularly as it seems to describe a far more complicated set-up than I envisage attempting. However, I fully realise that if I make the effort to read and understand the article, it should make triple-booting child's play.

I will look at the first thread you mention. By the way, clicking on the second thread seems to take me back to the main Help forum index.

Many thanks
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Nobber » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:43 pm

Quickstart guide:

1. Make space on your disk for FC4.
2. Install FC4 in that space; don't overwrite bootloader.
3. Reboot into Mandriva and add FC4 entry to grub config file.
4. [optional but recommended] Delete entry for Windows from grub config file.
5. Reboot and choose!
800 LINES ERIC - GET BACK TO PYSKOOL
Nobber
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:41 pm

Hi Nobber

On your points:

1. Fortunately I've already got plenty of free space. I have a brand new 160GB drive. Windows has 50GB, and Mandriva about 10GB. The rest is unallocated at the moment.

2. When you say "don't overwrite bootloader", do you mean when I get to the bootloader stage of FC4's installation I just skip installing Grub?

3. OK - I'll need to find out exactly what to enter but I'll research that.

4. Delete the Windows entry? Are you trying to tell me something?

5. You make it sound very simple !!
Marrea
LXF regular

Re: RE: Triple booting WinXP, Mandriva and FC4

Postby Nobber » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:48 pm

Marrea wrote:When you say "don't overwrite bootloader", do you mean when I get to the bootloader stage of FC4's installation I just skip installing Grub?

Aye.

OK - I'll need to find out exactly what to enter but I'll research that.

Well...in that case you could let FC4 install grub for you, and hope it adds entries for Madriva and Windows. If it doesn't, you could copy them over from Mandriva's grub config file (which presumably already has them).

Delete the Windows entry? Are you trying to tell me something?

Just a helpful suggestion. :)

You make it sound very simple !!

It is. The only knowledge you need is (a) how to make free space on your disk (unless you already have some), (b) how to install a distro, and (c) how to edit the grub config file.

Really.
Nobber
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Triple booting WinXP, Mandriva and FC4

Postby Marrea » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:05 pm

Nobber

Right, I've still got to study motub's stuff but I think with that and your very helpful instructions, I should be able to attempt a triple boot.

Thanks again.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:58 am

>>
I have Grub on the MBR, so would it just be a matter of adding a chainloading entry for FC4 to Mandriva's /boot/grub/menu.lst? Or is it more complicated than that?
>>
As above, about that simple.

You don't really need to chainload for a Linux. Just point the entry to the new kernel image in the existing Grub install. Using the existing Linux entry as a template. You could chainload if you wanted but it's more designed for dragging in a loader thats sector aligned on its' partition. Thus the +1 or +n being the sector to look at for a 1st stage loader file.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:37 am

jjmac

Many thanks for the further clarification. Over the past two years I have gained quite a bit of experience dual booting Windows and Linux (with various combinations of Win98, WinXP, Mandrake, SuSE, Fedora, Ubuntu and now Mandriva) but triple booting will be a new adventure for me !
:D
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:01 pm

good grief ... theres a few more there than iv'e looked at (grin), I have been experimenting with Ubuntu lately though, from LXF68. A curious thing occures, which also occured in Knoppix 3.8. I suspect it might have something to do with the different libc6 version used by later distros compared to my main woody based system which uses libc6 v2.2.5 rather than v2.3.2. I'm wondering if you may have noticed it.

I'm using a Tk coded file manager called 'filerunner', mainly due to its' lightness and its' split display ... in my main install when i select a file, then click my middle mouse button/wheel in a term window, or anywhere... i get a full path-to-file past which is what i want. It is really handy. In the others, same app, same config, i get a past of the list-box listing; ie name, size, date and time :). Drives me crazy as i always forget it's going to happen. Aside from possible keymap differences, the C library being used is the only thing between my main and the others that is really that different. Have you ever had anything similar like that happening with those mentioned above. Just a wondering :?:

jm

jjmac
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Triple booting WinXP, Mandriva and FC4

Postby Marrea » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:05 pm

Hi there, jjmac

good grief ... theres a few more there than iv'e looked at (grin), I have been experimenting with Ubuntu lately though

My first exposure to Linux was Mandrake 9.0 - shortlived, as I didn't take to it somehow. Next on the list was SuSE - loved it and have stuck with it ever since, moving from 8.2 through 9.0 to my current 9.2. Somewhere along the line thought it would be fun to try Fedora so installed FC2 and really liked it (a "free" version of SuSE to my mind). Only removed it recently to make room for Ubuntu (like you, from the LXF disc). Love Ubuntu - clean and mean. Don't feel quite ready for the full-blown Debian yet but, again, have the LXF copy waiting for when I feel brave enough. Installed Mandriva last weekend from the LXF Special. Still getting to grips with it, but more impressed second time around !

(I'd better not discuss W****** 98 and W****** XP here: sensitive topic and don't want to upset others who may be reading this !! Suffice to say I have fairly catholic tastes and will not get drawn into the "operating system bashing" so prevalent on a lot of the forums.)

A curious thing occures

Right, getting a bit out of my depth here. I know nothing about programming and not a great deal about libraries (those horrible things which appear in error messages when I'm trying to install something!!). And I've not heard of filerunner, much less Tk.

Have you had anything similar like that happening

Can't say that I have, but then I'm not too sure what you're describing. Do you mean that in your main woody based system, you go to filerunner, click on one of the listed files (ie "select" it), then go to a terminal and click the middle button, and the terminal displays the full pathname of the file you selected? But if you do the same in, say, Ubuntu, the terminal window instead displays the selected file's name, size, date and time?

The file manager I use in Ubuntu (libc6 v2.3.2 - er, just checked that last night!) is plain old Nautilus. If I do what I think you're describing above, when I go into a terminal window and click the middle mouse button, nothing happens at all.

Sorry if I've misunderstood you here. Even after two years, I'm still in the Linux kindergarten !!

Cheers
Marrea
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Triple booting WinXP, Mandriva and FC4

Postby jjmac » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:45 pm

Howdy Marrea ...

No you didn't miss-understand me. In woody if i select something, then past somewhere else, i get the full selection. Usually that will involve a mouse pointer drag over some text in a file -=- html or whatever. But in my filemanagers listbox it just invoves a mouse click on the item, were it then will highlight to show it's been selected. It is being copied to the clip-board but (woh_is_me.png) (grin). In my main system ... a modified deb that started out as a woody 3.0, it's more of a sarge/sid back-ported hybrid at the moment though :), a selection from the file manager will past out as the full path!, totall luxury!. In Ubuntu it pasts out as the listbox entry:cry:. Same happened in Knoppix. And come to think of it, i have only tested it in Filerunner :roll:. So i'll have to see how gnomes fm reacts. But ... i can't live without Filerunner. It is out of development, but nice and light. For an interpreted language Tk is surprisingly quick. But i would class it as one of the wierd languages, Once all the config/font/geometry issues have been gone through, it becomes really good :). The only difference i can find between the distros is the libc6 version being used. As it sounds like a system call quirk, of soughts, to me in a way. Or maybe something to do with TK which wouldn't surprise me either. I did have a compiled libc6 v2.3.2 in my main OS earlier this year, but can't remember the same thing occuring ... so i could be very wrong there. I reverted it back to v2.2.5 as every thing was compiled against that vesion anyway and i wanted to retain a consistency on that level. Hopefully i'll work it out. The harder it is to find, i figure, the simpler it probably is ... hmmm, well, maybe (grin). It's the only thing that stops me from doing much in those two distros. If a person can't select and past ... what can they do (grin)

>>
Don't feel quite ready for the full-blown Debian yet ...
>>

(grin) If your doing any of the deb based OSes, like Ubuntu ... your doing a stylised snapeshot. Probably sarge with a bit of sid thrown in. The only difference is that all the facilities will be turned on :). And your desktop will be defaulted.

Thanks for your thoughts though. You certainly are keen :).

jm

jjmac
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Triple booting WinXP, Mandriva and F

Postby Marrea » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:36 pm

jjmac wrote:Thanks for your thoughts though. You certainly are keen :).

It's just a hobby, really. I'm a secretary/PA by profession and I find it fascinating to study computers from a totally different angle when I get home. My fellow secretaries think I'm mad*, but what do they know …. and who do they ring up when they want some help with Word? !!! :lol:

* "Linux?", one of them asked me. "What's that? It sounds like a soap powder."
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Triple booting WinXP, Mandriva a

Postby bfinvest » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:12 am

Have found this sort of problem every time I have installed a new OS windows or linux. I then purchased Acronis OS selector and the problem is resolved instantly. After each new system install, you can expect a bootloader problem. SImply insert the OS selector recovery disk and repair the OS Selector image and it will find all your installed systems
bfinvest

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Triple booting WinXP, Mandriva a

Postby Marrea » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:32 am

bfinvest

I've not heard of Acronis OS Selector before, but it sounds very much like Partition Magic and Boot Magic rolled into one.

I nearly always use Partition Magic to shrink my Windows partition and have used Boot Magic successfully with Windows 98 and various Linux distros. However when I recently tried to use this particular boot manager with Windows XP and Ubuntu on a Toshiba laptop it wouldn't work. On reboot, instead of seeing the expected list of installed operating systems, I merely received a black screen with the following message "Error #8002, Unexpected Error, Unknown DOS function number 6601h". This meant nothing to me, but a bit of googling revealed that there is some problem with Boot Magic and Toshibas, and I think this is always the risk with these third party programs. When they work they are fantastic - and I swear by Partition Magic, it's the best £50 I ever spent - but you can never be guaranteed 100% compatibility.

However, as I'm a great one for experimenting, it's interesting to learn about this Acronis program and I may well give it a try at some stage. Thanks for mentioning it.
Marrea
LXF regular

Next

Return to Help!