The Worst MDK Possible ?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

The Worst MDK Possible ?

Postby RD » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:16 pm

OK so after god knows how long of trying to get my mic to work with teamspeak i thought i would upgrade (rather a fresh install more like :D) to the new MDK and so far the only thing that has impressed me is the fact that it configured my sound on install :D

I've reinstalled all the apps i use to use in MDK 10.1 and nearly all wont/dont work right! xvidcap no sound, keeps dying <---- worked perfect in 10.1
Kaffen (or what ever its called) dunno what the hell has happened but this version is bad
Konqueror wont refresh any more :shock: (i click refresh dont happen!)

and so on i could carry on all day about things that did work in MDK 10.1 that wont/dont work right in MDK 2005.

I think this has to be the worst MDK ever! im gonna go back to mdk 10.1 (at least after the upgrade of packages things worked) lets hope they sort out them little but very anoying bugs in 2006 version.

Any one else thing that 2005 is bad compared to 10.1 ?
RD
LXF regular

RE: The Worst MDK Possible ?

Postby Erin » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:39 pm

Nice bit of blashphemy to start a post off with. I don't like Mandrake particularly but it is supposedly good for newbies. Whenever you upgrade, things can go wrong. Try downgrading specific parts, i.e the metled parts, and see if that cures the problems or use MDKs forums. I would guess they provide more intimate posts that a non-specific board.

Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:46 pm

If you want a similar look and feel to Mandrake/iva, but with everything working, try PCLinuxOS.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby RD » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:36 pm

yea ive heard a lot of talk about it the thing that i really like about mandrake is urpmi, though have given thought about going back to debian or even gentoo again what does PCLinux Os have in the terms of urpmi and apt and portage ?
RD
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:31 pm

PCLinuxOS runs as a live cd but you can install it. You can see how it detects your hardware "live". The only problem is that you will need to use Konqueror to browse the net / test the connection as Firefox and UnionFS cannot co-exist, once installed this ceases to be a problem. UnionFS enables it to work at a reasonable speed with less RAM but is only relevant to live CDs.

PCLinuxOS uses the "apt for rpm" system originally developed by Connectiva. Synaptic is installed so you can do everything via the UI.

I used to run Gentoo, and it's great. Not so much for the "compile everything from source" but for the "you build the system to suit yourself". PCLOS is the opposite. Though you can add/remove/update packages via Synaptic, you start with a fixed set of programs. It just so happens that they are mostly the programs I would have picked myself!
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Return to Discussion