Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paul's travels in the United States
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> LXF Blog Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Paul's travels in the United States Reply with quote

Pedants: that's the United States of America. Yes, I know the United States of Mexico exists too Smile

Seeing as nobody else has mentioned it, I thought I'd give a quick "mad propz" to Paul and Joby for their photos of open source nanocelebs and sights in the area.

Big post with some faces you may recognise:

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog/?p=21

And snaps around the area:

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog/?p=20

Of most note is Alcatraz. It's a special place for Paul, because when he escaped from there and swam to England, he ended up in the Bristol Channel and finally arrived here in Bath.

M
mugstar
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Paul Reply with quote

Seeing as he blagged loadsa t-shirts and stuff, how bout a free draw for us poor forum members to get our hands on one?

/ *really* wants a Debian shirt...
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Paul Reply with quote

Wish people wouldn't call the USA, America. It certainly isn't America, just a little part of it.

Oh, how do us perpetual resubscribers get a LXF t-shirt too? I want one -- well would dearly like one.

Erin
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Paul Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
Oh, how do us perpetual resubscribers get a LXF t-shirt too? I want one -- well would dearly like one.
Erin

Yes, I'd rather like an LXF T-shirt too... will we be offered them as an incentive to renew when our subscriptions become due ?
Or perhaps you would consider offering them to subscribers at a reasonable price ?
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Paul Reply with quote

They are offered if you subscribe with direct debit for a year. I paid by Credit Card. @rse I say, @rse.

Erin
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Paul Reply with quote

Hmm, yes - I prefer to subscribe annually with my credit card as well.
I recall having a "discussion" with a representative of a.n.other Linux mag at the Linux Expo last year, when he was trying to get me to subscribe by continuous credit card authority and I told him "discrete annual credit card payment or nothing" - and stuck to it (I didn't subscribe).
I don't like Direct Debit subscription (or continuous credit card authorities) because the default is to renew the subscription every year and it's hassle to stop it. With a discrete credit card subscription I have to stop and think whether I really want to resubscribe every year.
It's the opt-in vs opt-out thing.

So far, LXF has proved worthy of my subscription every year, and I hope it stays that way. But it's my choice.

Nigel.
Hudzilla
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Paul Reply with quote

I arrived back from the US today, and am now coping with 8 hours of jet lag. However, I couldn't let this slide...

<< Seeing as he blagged loadsa t-shirts and stuff, how bout a free draw for us poor forum members to get our hands on one? / *really* wants a Debian shirt... >>

The Debian shirts were being sold, and I bought two at the same price anyone else would. I also stumped up for a NetBSD shirt, for an EFF membership (and got the shirt free as a result), and for Gnome sponsorship (again, "free" t-shirt).

Maybe if I flashed my Media badge I could have gotten free t-shirts, but who would it have helped? For a lot of these guys their income is quite limited, and buying t-shirts/sponsorships means we can all contribute back to free software projects and make a difference that way.

If you don't get to go to conferences often, you can download the same Debian t-shirt logos as the ones I bought from http://www.paul.sladen.org/expo/lrlive-2005/T-shirt-logos.html - it's the first two. But you can become a Friend of Gnome (for example) online, and still get the free t-shirt; check out http://www.gnome.org/friends/

Paul
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Paul Reply with quote

Hudzilla wrote:
Maybe if I flashed my Media badge I could have gotten free t-shirts, but who would it have helped? For a lot of these guys their income is quite limited, and buying t-shirts/sponsorships means we can all contribute back to free software projects and make a difference that way.

If only more journalists thought this way... kudos, Paul Cool
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Paul Reply with quote

Too right Nigel. Does that mean however we will not get LXF t-shirts? After all we sponsor the same as DD subscribers so not trying to get a free item.

Erin
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: RE: T-shirts Reply with quote

I don't have any problem with paying for one (as long as they're not an outrageous price), even if the money does disappear into Future's coffers - it might keep Nick, Paul & co in jobs so they can afford to buy more Debian, Gnome etc T-shirts and support the projects. Yes, I could always buy a Debian T-shirt myself, but I don't want one of those...

I know why Future favour DD subscriptions - they generate regular, predictable income. But hey, I pay for a year at a time in advance - the interest on having that money up-front must surely cover the extra cost of processing the credit card (which is more than processing one DD - maybe not more than processing 4 quarterly ones, though)
mugstar
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: RE: T-shirts Reply with quote

I had assumed they were freebies. Apologies to Paul if offence was caused, and fair play for paying for them.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: RE: T-shirts Reply with quote

Maybe new DD subscribers are offered a T-shirt, but those of who have merely supported the magazine from the beginning and switched to DD don't get offered anything. This seems to be the way with everything, companies will go that little bit further to get new customers, while ignoring the existing ones. Crying or Very sad

After all, if they wanted to they could offer the T-shirt generally, with a modest discount for existing subscribers.
towy71

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: RE: T-shirts Reply with quote

Hey over here, I have every copy of the mag from LinuxAnswers onward, don't we get a long service medal Laughing
After all we've had to put up with monkey babble for soooooo long Wink
Oh and, what ^he^ said

Muwhahaha
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: RE: T-shirts Reply with quote

Paul, do you know what make+model of camera was used to take the pics, the clarity is excellent, was it a film based shooter?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: RE: T-shirts Reply with quote

I'd say that was more down to the professional holding the camera, especially for the low resolution of web images. The clarity is down to good lighting and exposure as much as anything else.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> LXF Blog Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: