Error message one

Error Partioning
Could not allocate requested partions:
Patrioning Failed:Could not allocated partions as
Primary partitions

Error message two

Automatic Partitioning Errors
The following errors occured with your partitions

You have not defined a root partition (/), which is required for installation of Red Hat Linux to continue.

This can happen if there is not enough space on your hard drive(s) for the installation. You can choose a different automatic partitioning option, or click 'Back' to select manual partitioning.

I right clicked my C drive and clicked properties and I have 6GB of memory left which im sure is more than enough for the system to run on which I assume would cancel out the "This can happen if there is not enough space on your hard drive(s) for the installation" option.

I went back to the manual root selection and got a little confused.

Anyone able to help?
Yppolitia

RE: Installing Red Hat Linux 8

Postby towy71 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:06 am

why are you trying to install such an old version of linux?

if I were you I would go to WHSmiths and buy the LXF special Mandriva issue, which has detailed instructions on installing and configuring Linux, alternatively you could get hold of one of the live versions that run from the cd and see if you like what you see before actually installing it.
There are more than I have ever seen listed at: http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

HTH
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Yppolitia » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:17 am

Just because I got it with the For Dummies book and I wanted to test it out.
Yppolitia

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:22 am

A lot of the stuff in that book will be applicable to all Linux distros -- admin tasks etc. So you can still work with parts of the book but use a newer Linux.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Yppolitia » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:26 am

Ohh right. But how do I get around this problem? I dont know what to define as the "Mount Point" or Mount somthing that was an option in the manual installation if this automatic problem is holding me back.
Yppolitia

Postby mugstar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:36 am

Free space on the Windows C: drive is no good, you need free unpartitioned hard drive space. You could defrag C: under Windows, backup all your files then follow towy71's suggestion of using mandrake/Mandriva (since the disk partitioning tool which forms part of the installer is one of the best available IMHO.)

Or, get your hands on another hard disk and install Linux onto that, possibly the less-fraught-with-danger option.

Is your Windows C: drive formatted as NTFS or FAT32?
mugstar
LXF regular

Re: RE: Installing Red Hat Linux 8

Postby Yppolitia » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:38 pm

mugstar wrote:Free space on the Windows C: drive is no good, you need free unpartitioned hard drive space. You could defrag C: under Windows, backup all your files then follow towy71's suggestion of using mandrake/Mandriva (since the disk partitioning tool which forms part of the installer is one of the best available IMHO.)

Or, get your hands on another hard disk and install Linux onto that, possibly the less-fraught-with-danger option.

Is your Windows C: drive formatted as NTFS or FAT32?

FAT32

Ill try and get hold of another hard disk.
Yppolitia

RE: Re: RE: Installing Red Hat Linux 8

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:15 pm

I'll second Dick's advice, get down to WHSmiths and get the Linux Format with the four CDs of Mandriva LE Linux 2005. It loads beautifully. I'm new to Linux and after a fraught start with a DVD version (no manual) - I decided on another attempt and I'm glad I did...it's all coming together really well, after my initial confusion! I was given excellent advice on this forum.
At a tenner for the disks and easy to understand manual (the magazine) it's a good buy.
All the best, Pete :mrgreen:
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Return to Help!