Ark Linux User

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Ark Linux User

Postby Snotrag » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:45 pm

Hello

After installing Ark Linux from LXF69D, the local login asked for a user account. Setup never asked me to create a user. How would I login???

Thanks
Snotrag

RE: Ark Linux User

Postby nelz » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:41 pm

As it says in the magazine

You were not asked for a root password during installation, or to set up a user account, because the arklinux user is created automatically.

However, you shouldn't need to login, Ark is set up to start the desktop as arklinux with no login dialog.
nelz
Site admin

Postby Snotrag » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:58 am

I apologize. I do not have the mag, a buddy loaned me the CD. I do have other issues of the publication, which I love. Current issues are few and far between where I reside. X would not start, post-setup put me at a terminal. My video card is an NVidia, GeForce FX5700.

Love that X !!!
Snotrag

Postby nelz » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:12 am

Why didn't you say the problem was with X?

I looks like X was not correctly configured during installation, maybe a problem with detecting your monitor, since the graphics card is standard fare.

Code: Select all
startx

X should start.

If it does not, switch to root and view the X log file by typing
Code: Select all
su -
cat /var/log/messages/Xorg.0.log

Look for any lines starting (EE), these show errors. Post that part of the logfile here if you don't see what's wrong.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs