Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie needs help with Ubuntu 5.04

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSeaDog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Newbie needs help with Ubuntu 5.04 Reply with quote

I have been driving myself nuts trying to mount my ntfs filesystems and reading the results. I have installed about 5 times already and every time there is a screwup with the root account. I thought it was installed with out a password, but I couldn't get access. I finally got in got to the root terminal and mounted the partition manually. Now I can't get access to the mnt directory! Di I have to chmod to allow access to users (i.e. me)?
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: RE: Newbie needs help with Ubuntu 5.04 Reply with quote

Without realising it you have created 2 questions here. Ubuntu does not come with a root account by default, the Ubuntu FAQ will explain this better than I can but you need to do something along the lines of "sudo passwd root" to enable it.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

When you mount an NTFS partition by default only root can read it, you need to setup user/group permissions with the mount command if you want others to use it. The following should help:
http://www.linuxforum.com/linux_tutorials/1/1.php
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: