fsck error

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

fsck error

Postby jer1ch0 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:14 pm

Running Ubuntu. During boot it says

fsck failed. Please repair manually.
* CONTROL-D will exit from this shell and continue system startup.
root@(none)::~#

Control+d does indeed continue the boot process and brings me to the login screen. (Incidently this problem only occured when I installed this new login screen) Logging in results in the error.

"Your home dir is listed as: /home/john, but it does not appear to exist. Do you want to log in with the / (root) dir as your home dir. It is unlikly that anything will work unless you use a failsafe session"

so I answer yes and it throws up more errors about "etc/gdm/presession/default ..."oo many to list here, but I will if needed.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

RE: fsck error

Postby towy71 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:38 pm

please look here: http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php? ... wtopic&t=3

then post again
TIA
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

RE: fsck error

Postby jer1ch0 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:28 pm

Re your link:

"Be concise" Am I not?
"Give enough detail... What error messages do you get?" -I've given the error messages?
"What have you already tried" Short of reinstalling, I don't know what to try, hence my post here.

If it's any help, I tri-boot with SuSE and can access the Ubuntu partitions from there.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Re: fsck error

Postby towy71 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:30 pm

jer1ch0 wrote:so I answer yes and it throws up more errors about "etc/gdm/presession/default ..."oo many to list here, but I will if needed.

error messages oo many to list here :roll:

hhm :wink:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

RE: Re: fsck error

Postby nelz » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:16 am

The errors are probably because /home is not mounted.

Instead of pressing Control-D, you need to repair the partition first, as the message tells you, by typing

Code: Select all
fsck -f /dev/hdxN

where /dev/hdxN is the partition containing /home. If you don't know which partition this is, type

grep home /etc/fstab

Once you have repaired the partition, then you can press Control-D to continue.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby jer1ch0 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:43 pm

Towy71, that error mesage was:
The session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you haven't logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or that you may be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem.
View Details (#/.xsessions-errors file)
/etc/gdm/PreSessions/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/gdm/PreSessions/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11?sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u
/var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h " " -l ":0" "john"
etc.gdm/Xsession:Beginning sesion setup
(gnome-session: 7621): libgnomevfs-WARNING **:Unable to create #/.gnome2 directory Permission denied
Could not create per-user gnome configuration directory '/home/john/.gnome2/' Permission denied

nelz, doing the grep command gives me:
/dev/hda4       /home  ext  defaults  0   2
/dev/hda3    /home    ext3   defaults.user_xattr   1 2

Running fsck -f /dev/hda3 seems to do something positive, giving messages such as "recovering journal, various pass and checks" It only takes a few seconds and leaves me back at the root command.
Running the same command on /dev/hda4 gives a lot of negative feedback about the superblock not been read or not containing a correct ext2 filesystem.

I have 2 hdds, 1 containing Winxp and Ubuntu, the second SuSe.Checking out the disks in SuSe partioner gives this:

/dev/hda 186.2 gb st3200822a
/dev/hda1 97.6 gb hpfs/ntfs /windows/c
/dev/hda2 525.5 mb extended
/dev/hda3 4.2 gb linux native /data1
/dev/hda4 83.8 gb linux native /
/dev/hda5 525.5 mb linux swap swap

/dev/hdb 37.2 gb st340823a
/dev/hdb1 1004.0 mb linux swap swap
dev/hdb2 36.2 gb linux native /data2

Is there something wrong with the way the first disc is partitioned?
Sorry about the long and protracted post. It would not be a big deal for me to just reinstall. But I really want to break the habit of opting for a reinstallation whenever Linux gets broken.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:23 pm

The obvious question is... why do you have two partitions mounted at /home?

The entry for hda4 is wrong anyway, the filesystem should be ext2 or ext3, not ext.

Replacing the defaults option in the hda4 entry with noauto will prevent the filesystem fro being mounted at bootup, which should at least enable you to boot into a full system. then you can try to find the problem with hda4.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby jer1ch0 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:40 pm

Yea, it seems like a right mess. This may have happened when I installed SUSE. There were partitions left over from a previous Linux install, and I may have been a bit ambitious in what I was trying to do. Still, it was working ok for months. I have it all backed up, so I was thinking of starting anew. (note to self - I am never going to reinstall again - D'oh!)
I made your reccommended changes to hda4, but hda3 seems to give problems as well.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:22 pm

There's no "seems like" about it :(

Boot from a Knoppix CD and fix each filesystem in turn. Then see about setting up a more sensible partitioning strategy.

If you do decide to backup and repartition, I strongly recommend you use LVM, it makes changing things at a later date, even adding a new drive, so much easier.
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!