Kiriwrite 0.4.0 (Belated) Release Annoucement

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Kiriwrite 0.4.0 (Belated) Release Annoucement

Postby Kiri » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:43 pm

Hi,

(I know this probably looks like spam since I'm still technically a newbie here considering my post count but I wanted to belatedly announce Kiriwrite here since it may hopefully be of use to someone ;))

Kiriwrite is a web-based (browser-based) interface for creating pages for websites, intended for those who know how to create pages by hand and want to accelerate the process of (re)designing a static-only website because you can't or don't want to run a dynamic website.[1]

Kiriwrite is written in Perl (hopefully there's enough comments in the code :)) and can be run as a CGI script or as a mod_perl 2.x script with some minor modifications (although in both cases it should be run on your own PC/local server and I think it would defeat the purpose of Kiriwrite if you do use it on your internet-facing web server ;)).

Kiriwrite has an API for storing pages/filters/templates known as a database module with SQLite and MySQL5 as standard and also an API for presenting the information that is outputted by Kiriwrite known as a presentation module with HTML 4.0 Strict (HTML4S) as standard. It also has support for Kiriwrite to be run in a different language other than the standard English (British) that comes with it. Internally, Kiriwrite uses UTF-8 for storing information and (at the moment) compiling pages with.

It also has a fairly extensive documentation split into three sections: User (general documentation giving information on how install, use Kiriwrite, detailed help on each section of the Kiriwrite software and a troubleshooter section describing most of the common problems using Kiriwrite and hopefully how to solve them), Tutorial (showing the basics of Kiriwrite and how to use it) and Developer (giving information on how to create the API modules by listing all the subroutines for the API modules and also a list of the internal subroutines used by Kiriwrite).

Kiriwrite 0.4.0 can be downloaded in several archive formats (bzip2, gzip, ZIP and 7-zip) with checksums in MD5 and SHA-256 for verifying the archive downloads.

The main Kiriwrite website is at http://xestia.co.uk/kiriwrite and a mirror website (which is more or less the same as main website template but overridden with a template that has the logo of BerliOS on it) is at http://kiriwrite.berlios.de should the main website not be available.

I should probably point out that Kiriwrite is currently at Beta stage and is still in development so things in Kiriwrite can (and most certainly will) change (or in some case Kiriwrite may have bugs which I haven't spotted yet :().

Thanks,
Kiri

[1] Yes... Yes... I know I'm cheating here copying my own blurb from the website and adding a bit on the end but I guess I can't really describe it any better than perhaps a template system but it sounds short. :lol:
Kiriwrite 0.5.0
Kiri

Re: Kiriwrite 0.4.0 (Belated) Release Annoucement

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:16 pm

Kiri wrote:Hi,

I know this probably looks like spam :

From the berlios.de page it looks like you've released it under the GPL and from what else I can gather, it's Linux compatible.

So, I'm afraid you fail the "is it spam?" test and can carry on making posts like this. In fact I'm fairly certain that the LXF crowd are only too pleased to see posts of this sort.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: Kiriwrite 0.4.0 (Belated) Release Annoucement

Postby Kiri » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:16 pm

Rhakios wrote:
Kiri wrote:Hi,

I know this probably looks like spam :

From the berlios.de page it looks like you've released it under the GPL and from what else I can gather, it's Linux compatible.

So, I'm afraid you fail the "is it spam?" test and can carry on making posts like this. In fact I'm fairly certain that the LXF crowd are only too pleased to see posts of this sort.

Whoops. My bad. I knew I forgot to do something obvious. Obvious being that I forgot put a line or two saying that Kiriwrite is licensed under the GPL (specifically version 2 only, which it has been since the first release).
Kiriwrite 0.5.0
Kiri

Return to Announcements