SOLVED: Mounting Creative PC-CAM 880 camera

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RE: SOLVED: Mounting Creative PC-CAM 880 camera

Postby alloydog » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:57 pm

I know, but that's how it works! From what I've read, although you need the likes of usbfs or usbdevfs on your system, the device itself (as apparentyl with most USB storage, such as memory sticks] is mounted as vfat.

As I found, the problem with my system was that at the time, neither usbfs or usbdevfs were working - I think it is a particular bug with the 2.6.7 kernel, but I wouldn't swear to that. Also, the kernel I now use, 2.6.12-6 seems not to support usbdevfs, which is what I was trying to use before. But now I use usbfs, it's OK.
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:14 pm

usbfs is needed to mount /proc/bus/usb. Maybe the device was unable to be mounted without information from here. usbfs is not used when mounting a storage filesystem.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby alloydog » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:19 am

That's what I figured from your earlier posts, when you said use mknod to create sda1. It didn't work until I had the usbfs line in fstab. Now it does.

Thanks.

If the camera is plugged in at boot time, I can browse straight to it. If I plug it in afterwards, I have to go through the make node bit, then mount the camera, and then I can browse to it. Though in both cases, I have to to be in root to see the images.

Time to sort out hotplug...
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:02 am

Add "umask=0" to the options in the fstab line for the camera.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby alloydog » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:55 am

Cool, excellent - thanks.

Now, I have just written my first shell script and it didn't say "Hello world"...

It mounts the camera, copies the files to another folder, then unmounts the camera:
Code: Select all
echo Connecting camera
mount /camera
echo Camera connected
Copying photos
cp /camera/dcim/100album/*.jpg /home/camera
echo Photos copied to "/home/camera"
umount /camera
echo Camera disconnected
sudo chmod a+w /home/camera/*.jpg
nautilus /home/camera
echo Done
exit
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:15 am

If you add a uid entry to the camera's fstab line, the files will be owned by you, removing the need for the chmod (I'd have used chown there, anyway).

Edit: With a umask of 0, the files should all have 777 permissions anyway, so something's still not quite right. But it works, which is all that really matters.
nelz
Site admin

Previous

Return to Help!