Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Microsoft own-goal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedWillow
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Another Microsoft own-goal Reply with quote

Do you (or do you know anyone who) use(s) Windows XP?
Do you have ZoneAlarm installed?
Do you want to access the internet?

If you answer yes to all three, don't install security update KB951748. If you want all the gory details just google 'KB951748 zonealarm'. There are plenty of hits to choose from. Twisted Evil

Microsoft, I raise a glass to you. You have just driven some of your users into the arms of Apple and, hopefully, many more into the arms of Linux.

Posting from XP in which I have just uninstalled KB951748 - just to prove a point. Now I must have a shower and reboot into Linux.
aj_nc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Another Microsoft own-goal Reply with quote

I've seen the same issue with McAfee today as well.
Had to uninstall KB951748 for now.

Update:
DISREGARD McAfee comment above -- The PC in question is running McAfee for anti-virus/anti-spam, but ZoneAlarm for firewall.
corners

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS fixes a bug in Windows, a 3rd party application borks and somehow this is Microsoft's fault.

I guess one of the perks of being a Windows developer is you can always blame Microsoft for your bugs.
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a major security fault in the basic design of DNS that that patch set included i gather there was a summit at M$ the included Cisco,Sun Apple and several other major players in March on how to proceed with the bug fix and this tuesday's patch day was it do you remember the DNS packages that where updated on the weekend they where the Linux versions Very Happy as i gather that the bug allowed redirection so i imagine some of the third party people are just now getting the details so they can patch there apps.

Enjoy the Choice Smile
jonlewi5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

working in tech support, this was a MAJOR pain.
When asked what i suggested to stop this happening again, linux ALWAYS got a mention lol
RedWillow
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corners wrote:
MS fixes a bug in Windows, a 3rd party application borks and somehow this is Microsoft's fault.

I guess one of the perks of being a Windows developer is you can always blame Microsoft for your bugs.

A first post - someone registering on a Linux forum especially to defend Microsoft? Bless.

Personally, I couldn’t care a tuppeny cuss whether the blame lies with M$ or Zonealarm. It’s simply more fun having a go at the Beast of Redmond – especially on a Linux forum. Wink Kudos, though, to Zonealarm for reacting so quickly. And to be fair, kudos to M$ for dealing with the DNS vulnerability. However, from a BBC news item:

Quote:
"But," he added "it would seem reasonable for [Microsoft] to test their patch against what is probably the most popular software firewall."

A valid point, I would think.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have ZoneAlarm but for ages now have relied on the Windows XP Firewall instead. Therefore I haven't had any problems since installing KB951748. Interestingly, if I turn the XP Firewall off I still get a ShieldsUp "Passed" for Common Ports (ie all stealthed), so obviously my router's firewall is protecting me.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing about ShieldsUp, for most people it is merely a way of testing their router's firewall. Try opening a couple (or perhaps all) ports on your router and see what happens then. Smile
corners

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It’s simply more fun having a go at the Beast of Redmond

OS wars having been going on since the dawn of computing and it's dull. Spreading ignorance isn't going to help.

And I would have thought ZoneAlarm would have taken better care of their paying customers especially when the change was announced well in advance.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corners wrote:
OS wars having been going on since the dawn of computing and it's dull.

Couldn't agree more. <yawn>
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Try opening a couple (or perhaps all) ports on your router and see what happens then. Smile

Now why on earth would I want to do that? Very Happy
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To test your computer's firewall, of course.

And by test, I mean waste some time. Smile
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe if I knew how to open individual ports I could waste some time on this. Confused

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 and from a quick look at the user guide the only relevant bits I can find are in the "Block WAN Requests" section:

Block Anonymous Internet Requests. This keeps your network from being “pinged” or detected and reinforces your network security by hiding your network ports, so it is more difficult for intruders to work their way into your network. Select Enabled to block anonymous Internet requests, or Disabled to allow anonymous Internet requests.

and

Filter IDENT (Port 113). This feature keeps port 113 from being scanned by devices outside of your local network. Select Enabled to filter port 113, or select Disabled to allow port 113 to be scanned by devices on the Internet.

So it looks as if I can open and close 113, but otherwise it's either open or close the whole lot.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to unblock WAN requests, then forward the ports you want open to your computer. Without setting up port forwarding, the ports are still effectively closed.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that clarification, nelz.

As you have probably realised, I'm not very experienced in altering router settings. I don't have a network and my router is used purely for sharing an internet connection. So basically when I get a new router (this is only my second) I just plug it in, change the password and go with the default settings.

The only other thing I may possibly have done with this particular router is enable the 113 filter. I can't now remember whether the default was enabled or disabled.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: