Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADSL External USB Modem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: ADSL External USB Modem Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm a linux newbie needing help with trying to connect to the internet through linux.

The problem is that I need a piece of software (called dslmon) that comes with my modem and ISP (Tiscali Broadband). I can't get this software on linux as the CD that comes with it runs only on Windows. I'm thinking of wither trying to access my Windows HD from linux; or I could either go from Windows and then directly boot into Linux.

And help/suggestions?

Thanks,

Haz

P.S. Remember I am a linux newbie (and I'm quite young too infact) so please please keep it simple Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: RE: ADSL External USB Modem Reply with quote

the make of the modem would give us a clue Wink
both the sagem and thompson usb modems are known to work under linux
HTH
Dick
AJB2K3
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: RE: ADSL External USB Modem Reply with quote

usefulf tip for xp/linux - DON'T USE USB DSL i have found that usb dsl modems ar to much trouble. your best bet is to get an ETHERNET modem as thell be much better and you wont need ICS for more then 1 computer/gamesconsol to go online.
bigjohn
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: ADSL External USB Modem Reply with quote

AJB2K3 wrote:
usefulf tip for xp/linux - DON'T USE USB DSL i have found that usb dsl modems ar to much trouble. your best bet is to get an ETHERNET modem as thell be much better and you wont need ICS for more then 1 computer/gamesconsol to go online.

Well, for part of that, I'm inclined to disagree. The USB modems seem to work well for XP. Mine did, and that was about 3 years ago - but it was a total PITA/SOB to configure for a linux install - even though the mandrake I installed then (8.2) was supposed to have support for it (apparently it had been fine under 8.1, but was broken under the 8.2).

But I'll tell you what did used to aggrovate the hell out of me, and that was the nonsense of it dropping the connection when booting between windows and linux, and the interminable wait for it to re-sync.

It was an alcaltel speedtouch USB (the one that looked like a turquoize cow turd). The only good thing was that when I used to read the posts about people finding/getting the microcode for it, to make it work, I was fully aware that you could go into the windows app that came with it, copy and rename it on a floppy and install it that way.

As I say, it was the wait, that caused me to pay a timely visit to http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ and use their excellent site to find the best ethernet option and a quick visit to that bastion of quality hardware </sarcasm> also known as PC World Twisted Evil to pick up the tenners worth of network card.

The only annoyance, is that now the swines seem to be knocking out pc's as network ready!

Apart from that, yes yes yes. Ethernet does really seem the way to go if you want to have the choice of OS

Just my couple of pence worth! Mr. Green

Salaams.

John
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: