Powerpoint alternatives that aren't huge

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Powerpoint alternatives that aren't huge

Postby dizwell » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:26 pm

I don't do a lot of word-processing, so OpenOffice was overkill for me, and I accordingly am very happy with Abiword: small, standalone, sufficient to the purpose, bloody fast. I do even less viewing or producing Powerpoint-style slideshows, and I am accordingly very happy with...

Can anyone complete the above sentence with suggestions for a lightweight, standalone slideshow producer/viewer that is Powerpoint-compatible(ish). I get sent PPT slideshows I need to view sometimes, and I occasionally need to throw a slideshow together for my own use. But I really don't need a full-blown Office suite to do the deed.

I am using Fedora Core 4 x86_64. I've hunted on Google for 'powerpoint compatible slideshow linux' and similar, and some command-line stuff was suggested, but nothing like the 'Abiword of Presentation Software'.

All thoughts gratefully received!

Regards
HJR
dizwell

RE: Powerpoint alternatives that aren

Postby nelz » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:59 pm

There's KPresenter, part of the KOffice suite. Depending on your distro, there may be a package for KPresenter alone.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby dizwell » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:32 am

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply so quickly. I'm using Fedora 4, as I mentioned, and no separate download is available for that as far as I can tell. Looking at the KPresenter home page, I can't see separate downloads at all, in fact.

So I think I will have to pass on KPresenter for now.

Any other suggestions? (Polite ones, that is!) :wink:
dizwell

Postby ollie » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:55 am

There is an X11 based presentation software called MagicPoint that may be suitable.

Hope this helps.
ollie

Postby nelz » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:38 am

KDE only provide a single tarball for KOffice, but some distros build thins into a number of smaller packages for each component. It doesn't look like FC4 provides KOffice at all on the discs.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby dizwell » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:59 am

Ollie: Thanks so much for that link. I always feel a certain sense of dread when I see a tarball rather than a yummable rpm, but I'll give it a whirl anyway!

Regards from Sydney
HJR
dizwell

Return to Help!