Debian 3.1 on the coverdisk

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Debian 3.1 on the coverdisk

Postby GwiDan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:12 pm

Hello; when I try to install Debian off the latest coverdisk, I get past the screen where I choose my keyboard language, to where I assume it's checking my hardware, and the installer seems to hang on a blue screen with a different coloured bar down the bottom of the screen - other than that it's totally blank. Am I just not being patient enough and waiting long enough (a few minutes) or is there some problem with the installation not letting me get past this stage? Any help would be appreciated as I'm a complete Linux newbie and am pretty daunted by the whole thing.

The Fedora installation seems to hang as well, during the process where a lot of text is scrolling up the screen after initially clicking Enter to start the installation process. The DVD is still spinning in the drive, but nothing else seems to be happening. Should it be this difficult?
GwiDan

RE: Debian 3.1 on the coverdisk

Postby nelz » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:14 am

No, it shouldn't. The fact that both installers fail makes me think it may be something about your hardware. Can you give us details on what you are using, including any attached peripherals.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby GwiDan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:44 pm

It's an Intel Pentium III 650Mhz machine,

128MB SDRAM
ASUS DVD ROM Drive
GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE 47
Intel 82810 Graphics Controller

Then there's a standard CRT monitor, a Netgear WG111v2 Wireless USB dongle. If there's anything you're looking for in particular, just ask.

The Fedora and Debian installations hang in different places, I think, if that's important
GwiDan

Debian and Fedora problems

Postby gavin1210 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:48 pm

I got problems with both as well. Debian stops and hangs at 91% checking hardware.--Loading module sd-mod for SCSI hardware- !!

Fedora I tried a couple of times , two out of three I get error messages and third time appeared to install but on reboot no Grub - just straight into windows and no sign of Fedora!!.

System is pretty ordinary. Two HDs- one IDE the other SATA - AthlonXP 3200 on Abit NF7-S board, Radeon 9800 Pro graphics and a Pinnacle Mediacenter TV card.

Reason I'm trying out these distros is that I tried Red Hat a year or so ago and found it utter rubbish and went back to Windows.
Recently thought I'd give Linux another try and have installed Mandake 10.1( hopeless), Suse 9.2 (the best I tried but still couldnt get a Windows share working,- and now these two cover disks.

Generally my knowledge and experience of Linux is small but all I can say is that no wonder Windows still rules. javascript:emoticon(':?')
Confused
gavin1210

RE: Debian and Fedora problems

Postby nelz » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:50 pm

Have you tried without the USB wireless dongle?

Unsupported USB devices are a favourite way of stalling hardware detection.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby GwiDan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:45 pm

It didn't work with or without the wireless... but, I've managed to get Fedora to work by some research on the interweb...

By typing:

Code: Select all
linux ide=nodma
at the boot screen, the installation ran without a hitch. So anyone getting the same problem as I did would be well off trying that bit of code.
GwiDan

Postby Erin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:36 pm

ide=nodma is passing that to the kernel when booting. Therefore it is reasonable to assume that it'll work for most distros. Remeber, *nix is effectivly a set of tools based around the Linux kernel itself. Power management is another thing to screw up booting as well. Passing the kernel noacpi and other options sometimes helps. Also, removing all non-essential hardware and re-adding it post install if you are really struggling.

That is what LXF forums are for. Just ask :-)

Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:55 pm

there is also the fact that sarge comes with a rather old 2.4 kernel which is really clunky, the first thing I did was install 2.6.11 for a nice happy feeling, oh and to get my usb memory stick to work too ;-)
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Return to Help!