Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xp kernal changed by livedisc???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OliverB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Xp kernal changed by livedisc??? Reply with quote

Ok i really need help i was checking out this months distro (mint sexiest distro ever) and then when i was done exploring i shutdown the computer etc. Upon restarting the computer it just hung and took about 10mins to boot to logon screen now the computer is running as fast as a dead snail up hill(running xp) and AVG is saying theres been a change to the win32 kernal aswell as what appear to be 2 more important files... Whats going on???? and how can i right this wrong before i am murderd by my dads friend(i.t. tech who hates linux with a passion red)
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Xp kernal changed by livedisc??? Reply with quote

Yipes. I've never heard of anything like that before. Did you install Mint, or just run it in Live mode? Because in the latter case, it shouldn't touch your hard drive at all.

Perhaps your system got infected in the Windows session before you booted Linux, so when you next ran Windows you got the news from AVG -- but it's not a Linux thing. That's one possibility anyway...

Mike
OliverB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: RE: Xp kernal changed by livedisc??? Reply with quote

Ok that rules out it being the live disc thankyou! Smile And all i did was run the disc in safe graphics mode i can't see why it would have touched the hard drive. Only thing that i could think it could be is when i went on mint i went on the net and i got this problem from there? The only thing is that it only occurred after the session with the live disc. All it says on afg is that the shell, user and kernal have been modified... Thanks again.

Oliver
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Xp kernal changed by livedisc??? Reply with quote

Is your Windows installation set to perform auto updates in the background?

Viruses aren't a problem on Linux, so it won't be to do with going online.

M
OliverB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is set to perform auto updates, why? Do you think somthing got through the port that thats open to? Just trying to keep my mind off these thing as my dad has rung his i.t. tech friend who no doubt will blame me for this.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All it says on afg is that the shell, user and kernal have been modified... Thanks again.

Well if you've got Windows update turned on it's quite likely that an update has modified these items, and AVG has just spotted it when you rebooted, it's probably nothing sinister at all.

Do a full virus scan, to check for sure, then don't forget to mention to your Dad that if you were running Linux full time you wouldn't be worrying about this anyway Wink
Diagmato
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps also try different virus scanners - on my aunts pc, Nortons reported no viruses, yet AVG found 8 dialers, and 3 trojans. Both were the most up to date versions. Even then, ESET (Nod32) found even more (and extremely quickly, doesnt hog the resources like a lot of virus scanners).

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
dwjs1974
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows update changes these files. I have opensuse installed on my machine it never touches windoz. But the windows update will.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: