Ogg Dilema

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Ogg Dilema

Postby martin_proffitt » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:40 pm

Hi.

Over the last few months I've spent a lot of time backing up my cd collection into Ogg format, which amounts to a hell of a lot of files.

Last weekend I purchased a new stereo for my car which has facilities for mp3 and wma formats but doesn't support ogg.

Is there a single tool which I can use to convert ogg files into mp3 files maitaining the id3 information? most of the methods I've come accross so far seem to involve converting to PCM format, then using a seperate tool to convert the PCM file into mp3. Obviously, this looses the id3 tag in the process.

Thanks
Martin.
Do Not Insult The Penguin!
martin_proffitt

RE: Ogg Dilema

Postby nelz » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:29 pm

You could use vorbiscomment to read the tags from the off files then id3v2 to write it back.

However, in the long run you are better off ripping your CDs again. OV and MP3 are both lossy formats, so you are lossing data twice. Converting from one to the other results in lower quality than either of them would give on their own.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby davecs » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:14 pm

You have summed up why I don't bother with Ogg Vorbis more succinctly that I ever could.

I just wish that manufacturers would take it up. For each quality level, ogg files can be half the size. So they could double the "time" capacity of their players.

It's so annoying ...
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby fingers99 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:05 pm

I use ogg2mp3:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash

for i in *.ogg; do ogg123 -d wav -f - "$i" | lame -b 320 -h - > "$i".mp3; done

But it doesn't do the meta-tags.
fingers99
LXF regular

Re: RE: Ogg Dilema

Postby jimsaku » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:22 am

davecs wrote:I just wish that manufacturers would take it up. For each quality level, ogg files can be half the size. So they could double the "time" capacity of their players.

i think the key reason preventing manufacturers from supporting ogg is the sheer processing power required to decode them. iirc the ipod physically isn't capable of decoding the files, even if apple did decide to start supporting them in software. another point for them to consider is that if customers fill their digital music players with 256kb/s vbr oggs, the battery is going to last for considerably less time than it would with 128kb/s cbr mp3s. i remember reading about one of the new little sony devices than claims to have 50 hours of playback time; that time was for playback of 96kb/s mp3s (basically unlistenable), with about a 20% drop in battery life if you wanted to listen to even 128kb/s mp3s (i forget where i read this).

i guess my point is that until cpu and battery technologies improve (and get cheaper), these devices aren't generally going to support oggs, simply because of the hardware cost -- it simply isn't worth it when you consider how many people are actually going to use it.

jim.
there's no such thing as 2

resist cimpulsory id
jimsaku

RE: Re: RE: Ogg Dilema

Postby fingers99 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:27 pm

Dunno about the iPod, but the series 1 Neuros was well capable of decoding oggs provided that the quality wasn't above 6.
fingers99
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Ogg Dilema

Postby nelz » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:01 pm

My iRiver H320 has no problem with Q7 oggs.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!