Debain

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Debain

Postby acraigon » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:22 pm

I do not know whether others would agree but I think debian is a very difficult operating system to set up. I recently purchased the new sarge distribution from the debian shop and have spent about 8 hours trying to set things up. I still have no sound and I will have to recompile the kernel to get the drivers for my card.
acraigon

RE: Debain

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:44 pm

Debian is more challenging than many distros, yes. But if you want to get some of the benefits of Debian without the hassles, it's worth going with Ubuntu (or another user-friendly Debian derivative).

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:32 pm

At least you only have to worry about this every three to four years with Debian's current release cycle :D
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby fingers99 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:26 pm

Another alternative is a HD install of Kanotix. You get Debian Sid, possibly the best autodetection known to Linuxkind and you get to use the official Debian repositories.
fingers99
LXF regular

Postby RDP » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:02 pm

Did you install with the 2.6 kernel (i.e. type kernel26 when starting install)? As I found sound very easy to set up with this, I just got the alsa packages and typed 'alsaconf' and this set up my sound card.
RDP

Postby Erin » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:53 pm

Debian isn't hard to set up. It just requires a little previous knowledge. Which drivers/card do you need/have?

Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby StewartT » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:33 pm

Last week I tried Debian ( from a cover disk ). After four complete installs it just would not accept config settings for the monitor / graphics card. I have a CTX monitor with matrox millenium G400 graphics card. The only difference to normal is that I pass the monitor through a KVM switch. On this system I have run Win98SE , Suse 8.0 , Smoothwall and Ubuntu. I tried Fedora Core 4 but it insisted that the Mobo did not support the larger size of hd I was using, 6 GB by the way. I tried using each of the 3 levels offered during the install but when it finally started all that was on offer was 800x600 and 600x460. I'm no linux newbie but whatever I tried Debian overrode it and reverted to 800x600. I tried Ubuntu after failing with FC4 and it installed first time with NO problems at all. I only took it off as I found it too simplistic in its ways. Out of interest I'm only looking for a change as at present I run SusSE 9.1 & 8.0 but I don't like the way SuSE is going since the takeover by Novell.

Stewart
StewartT

Postby towy71 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:56 pm

I have dreamed of having Gnu/Linux as the default operating system, and now, because of the improved installer and the knowledge gained from 6 or 7 years of faffing around ineffectually, I have a Debian install that was not done by my fellow luggers but only this dullard 'isself ;-)
Seriously once the base system is installed it is a synch to upgrade the kernel, from 2.4 to 2.6> and to get my Nvidia card to work.

Nelz has left a hard furrow to plough, as far as compiling CD's and DVD's, for M-Saunders esq ;-)

Thanks to all you guys

Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby hairymunky » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:59 pm

After about 8 years of using redhat/fedora, I fancied a wee change....
Had tried Debian once before, but couldn't get X configured properly (funnily enough using a CTX monitor).
Tried Debian from this months DVD, and well its .... perfect!
No install difficulties, no turning back now, Im hooked!!!
(Will see how long, as I go to configure my soundcard....)
Linux powered Astronomy
hairymunky

Postby jjmac » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:04 am

Those last two posts are encouraging :), Iv'e heard mention of the new installer for so long now (grin), any improvement on woodys' installer has to be good :)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Return to Discussion